Sunday, January 11, 2015

Potluck with Judy

Sundays were always when I posted Potluck with Judy, my now defunct food blog. But today I thought it just might be a good time to post about food (rather than rant about our new Congress, which I probably won't be able to restrain myself from doing for long). I bribed Jordan, Christian, and Jacob to come put Christmas back in the attic if I fixed brunch/lunch. Jacob, being old enough now to be allowed in the attic, loves to help his dad get things down and put them back up. I, being old enough that I am not allowed in the attic, am grateful.
I fixed croissant sandwiches--but only Christian and I ate croissants. They're not on Jordan's diet, and Jacob prefers what I call Jacob bread--Pepperidge Farm extra thin sandwich slices. At least I get them in whole wheat. Jacob has recently discovered that bacon/tomato/mayonnaise sandwiches are his very favorite. But the for 'dults, I followed a recipe I found online.
Spread mayonnaise on the bottom of a croissant; top with greens lightly dressed with raspberry/chipotle dressing; then thin slices of Pink Lady apples (so good!), followed by thin slices of brie, and finally bacon.  Wonderful combination--the flavors just go together.
I had raspberry chipotle sauce but not dressing, so I made a bit into dressing by mixing it with oil and vinegar--decided I'd made something good to keep in mind for future salads.
I was being cagey, I thought, when I bought six mini-croissant for$3.00--instead of three large for $4.00. I reasoned Christian would eat two, Jordan and I would each eat one, and Jacob could try one if he wanted. Problem was that there was simply too much filling for such a small roll. I ordered a croissant chicken salad sandwich when we stopped at the High Cotton Restaurant in Marlin a couple of weeks ago and it was huge, so big I took half home. The mini left me half hungry. I'd advise the full-size for this sandwich. I do have chicken salad in the fridge and that's probably what I'll have for supper.
The recipe said marinated vegetables were a perfect accompaniment, and I just happened to have those. Both recipes came from High-Made Food (http://highmadefood.com/) the Web site for a café in the Texas Hill Country. The site features basic foods with easy to follow instructions--minestrone, vanilla bean crème brulee, hoppin' John, chicken stew--you get the idea. Check it out. Sometimes I think, "No, I already make that my way and I like it," but other times I print and save.
The BLAB, as they call it (bacon, lettuce, brie, and apple), is definitely one I'll keep and try again. 

No comments: