Friday, November 20, 2009

Trivial dumbness, a rant, and

My day started with trivial stupidity on my part and didn't get better until evening. For some unknown reason, I poured coffee grounds into the part of the one-cup coffee maker that holds the water. So I had to pour all that out, clean and rinse it, and start over again. Then putting away groceries, I started to put dog bones in the fridge and tuna in the cupboard where the treats are kept. Went by the office, only to get home and discover I'd left the two files I wanted to bring home, plus I'd forgotten to check my mail. So I asked Melinda if she'd run them out if I called when I got there and she willingly agreed. My phone was out of charge, so there I went into the office in clothes that are patched. Jacob would have said, "You have your jammies on?" It's two in the afternoon now and I hope things will improve.
My big rant for the day: I just learned that some conservative web sites are selling T-shirts that say "Pray for Obama" and then cite Psalms 109.8 which goes on to say "Let his days be few, and let another follow him into office." Are they talking about the days of his term or the days of his life? Seems like the latter, for the Biblical verse says, "Let his children be fatherless, and his wife a widow." There's been a lot of sniping at Obama lately--for bowing to the Emperor of Japan, for lingering at the Great Wall of China, for visiting Dover--but such "prayers" are beyond crudity and should not be tolerated in a civilized country. I'm can't be sure what God those people are praying to--surely not the one I pray to--but I'm sure that God is saddened and discouraged. I think it's purely outrageous. And it worries me that some nut-job will decide it's his holy mission to take Obama out. That has worried friends of mine ever since he was elected. I wrote the other day about the decline in civility, but this is surely a new low. I can fathom really really disliking someone (I try to avoid the word hate), but I cannot ever imagine wishing for their death. What is this country coming to?
Lovely evening tonight--Jordan, Christian, Jacob, Susan and Jay and I went to the Star Cafe, where I used to run the cash register on Saturday nights and where my good friends Don and Betty Boles are the owners. We were treated like royalty, and Ireally blew my daily points, eating half a chicken fried steak serving and half of the mashed potatoes, with cream gravy of course. But it was oh so good. We laughed, played with Jacob--who had said he would not be shy and wasn't--and had a terrific time. When we came home, Christian and Jordan helped bring Christmas decorations down from the attic, and then Jay and Susan came back and we all sat around and watched Jacob. OK, what else do you do when a charming three-year-old has center stage? I'm a happy camper tonight--and I have good news to share tomorrow.

No comments: