Sunday, November 08, 2009

A good dinner and more about rejection

Katie Sherrod and Gayland Pool came for supper tonight--open-faced chickenburger sandwiches with basil mayonnaise and tomato slices, plus a green salad. Really good if I do say so, and nice presentation--I should have taken a picture. You make a basil mayonnaise with green onions, basil, and chopped cornichons, put some of it in the ground chicken and shape burgers. Grill the burgers, toast some good bread--I used sourdough--and slather it with the mayo, then top with tomato slice, two basil leaves for decoration, and the burger. Decorate with a dollop of mayo and some chopped basil. Good conversation--these are people I really enjoy, so it was a pleasant evening.
My thoughts naturally have been on rejection all day, but I've decided that it was the kick-in-the-pants I needed to get me to be serious about my writing. I've been putting too many things between me and writing--office work, manuscripts to edit, novels to read. Some of it I'll still do, because it's income. But I need to get a schedule of writing daily. Retirement is touch--free writing and exercise take up much of my mornings when I don't have to be somewhere. But I'll do it.
I have also reviewed the options on my writing--submit the first mystery elsewhere, work on the second mystery, shelve both of them and start something new. But I re-read the comments from a "blurb" class I took online and some were so enthusiastic and helpful about my blurb for the first novel that I've decided to submit the manuscript elsewhere. I did write the publisher who rejected it, but no reply so far. I think after ten months (to the day!) and a request to keep it longer (twice), I should get more than "I've decided to pass." So I'm hoping for a helpful critique.
Meantime, I have to decide where to send it next--at least five places. But tomorrow I have to take my car in, again!, to see if they can figure out why the top doesn't go all the way down. Lunch with Fred will be helpful, because we'll talk mysteries, and then tomorrow night is a Bookish Frogs happy hour featuring our Texas Small Books. I wrote two, but this event will mostly feature Melinda's new winery book. See why retirement is busy, and I can never put the world aside enough to write? It's a good thing/bad thing situation.

No comments: