Friday, November 06, 2009

Fall colors, social networking, experiments gone wrong, and a three-year-old

I've never been to New England at all, let alone in the fall, which I understand is the time to go. But this year, fall in Texas is beautiful. The oak in my front yard is a lovely deep golden brown (already also all over my lawn) and it seems that overnight the crape myrtles on the driveway turned the most gorgeous brilliant orange/yellow. Of course, they too are shedding all over everywhere, and my driveway is a mine field of acorns from the oak that shades it. I take a stick with me to walk back to the garage just because I don't want to slip and slide on one. Greg, who takes such good care of my lawn and flower beds, assured me I'm heavier than an acorn, but that's not what matters--the little critters roll under your feet! Jeannie took a brutal fall on one recently, and I don't want to follow her.
I've spent much of the day again figuring out Twitter and as I do each day made a little progress. I do think this social networking is important to writers, and I intend to keep at it. But I can't figure out how to link my blog to Facebook to Twitter. I know others who have done it, so I'll keep asking and trying. The codes on Twitter puzzle me, but tonight I blocked a lot of people I never heard of who turned up on my page.
Spent most of the morning with TCU Press--breakfast with our dean, June, and Jack August, an author from Phoenix who has published with us and maintains a strong interest in the press. Then we all went to a meeting about a book which Jack brought to us and which he has co-authored. Susan and Melinda are both former Harcourt employees and the free lance editor on this project is also a Harcourt veteran--they have procedures and processes which puzzle me. I've always just kind of sat at my computer and put books together. I still insist that I could do it that way again, but Susan just looks at me with sort of pity. Anyway, I'm very glad I'm not responsible for this one--it has a really tight deadline that I'm not sure we can meet.
Tonight, Bob Ray Sanders, author of our new book Calvin Littlejohn: Portrait of a Community in Black and White, was on TV and I carefully watched the clock so I wouldn't miss the 15-minut segment. Jacob had been happily watching a Spiderman movie, and I'd peacefully watched "Washington Week," but just as Bob Ray came on, Jacob decided he had to potty and I had to be in the bathroom with him. So I kept running between kitchen and bathroom but got most of Bob Ray's segment, and he was, as always, exceptionally good. That book is one that I have wanted to publish for 20 years, so it's a fitting swansong for my publishing career. Now Jacob, at 10:20 has decided something in his room scares him--not at all like him. I went back for a second cuddle, and every time I tried to get up he batted my head back on the pillow. I finally left promising to come back in ten minutes--I may cheat a bit.

No comments: