Sunday, November 29, 2009

Home again, home again

I've missed posting for four nights because I've been visiting grandchildren. Went to Frisco, north of Dallas, Wed. night and spent Thanksgiving day with Maddie (10) and Edie (6, also known as Beastie). Had a lovely time and a wonderful dinner--Mel had "prepped" all the side dishes and only had to cook the turkey (Jamie took that over) and make potatoes and gravy. Delicious! I enjoyed visiting with the girls who get more sophisticated every time I see them. Maddie has written some incredible poetry, and Beastie is such an animal girl--she adores her new Morkie puppy, Bailey, who at 12 weeks is so tiny she surprised me. We did watch the dog show, which Mel and I enjoy but Maddie kept asking when it was over. When I suggested we re-run it, she groaned. they are good girls, and the parents wonderful people. After working on my computer, jamie secured my permission to get me a new one. This one is really pretty slow--a dinosaur, as he said.
Friday in the late morning, Jordan, Jacob and I met at Jamie's new office, had a tour, and then headed for Houston, arriving a little after 3:30. The kids there are younger--4 and 2--and Lisa's ex-sister-in-law brought her 5-year-old nephew and twin 2-year-old nieces, so the house was a zoo. Lisa's parents were also there and John kept asking if I was sure I wanted to go to Breckenridge with the whole gang. I joked that I might come see them for Christmas, but really I'm looking forward to Breckenridge. We had a lazy Saturday--about the only outing was to feed turtles at a nearby creek and other than that Colin kept the children (by then down to three--his two--Morgan and Kegan) and Jacob; I napped. Colin and LIsa also do a wonderful job with their children--both are disciplinarians, but Colin especially so. The kids mind him and behave and yet are very happy.
This morning we were on the road at 9:30 but slowed by a humongous accident south of Huntsville, a stop at McDonald's, and rain in North Texas, so it was almost but not quite a 5-hour trip. Jordan drives, and I navigate, and she did a terrific job.
So now I'm home, catching up, and tired. But I did have an idea for a new series while I was gone--I guess on a night when not being in my own bed I didn't sleep soundly. It is, I think, a new twist on food mysteries, and I'm making notes on it. But I'll stick to editing the series I've written for the time being.
Tomorrow looms full and busy--grocery, errands, some office work, a staff meeting. And it's time to think about mailing Christmas gifts and making a grocery list for my annual party. That break away was far too short!

No comments: