Friday, June 26, 2009

Bookstore signing and the new slim me

Tonight I signed books at the Barnes & Noble in University Village near my house--sat right inside the door at a table with a stack of books, a huge poster, etc. And sold four books. How could all those smiling people resist that adorable picture of Jacob on the cover? Cold bookstore signings are often that way, though I know I got one customer because I posted the signing on Facebook. Friends Elizabeth and Weldon came by and though they've already bought two books bought a third for a friend. Biggest surprise--the daughter of an old friend came by and brought a friend--they each bought a book. Sidney's mother was one of the best friends I ever had and is mentioned in the book, even with a picture. She died about eight year ago. Sidney asked me tonight if I still missed her, and I said honestly that I really did. Sidney's youngest son--a lovely young man, bright, outgoing, cheerful--was with her, and I was delighted to see him. He's studying environmental science at Texas Tech. One woman stopped and said, "You're Judy Alter. I"m a fan!" I thanked her, and she stayed to talk--seems we belong to the same church and she talked a lot about that. And she knew about Grace & Gumption: Stories of Fort Worth Women, the TCU Press book in which I have a chapter. But she baffled me when she said she didn't read but she liked to own books. And then after all my chatting she left without buying. Some other old acquaintances came in, spoke to me about the pictures, and left without buying a book. As Jordan would say, rude, rude, rude. So really all four books went to people I already knew.
I bought some new gray pants, thinking they'd replace the worn ones I wear around the house, but they are so neat and make me look so skinny that they'll become daytime wear. For the first time today I could see that I was losing weight, and it felt good.
I have decided I'm going to coast through these last two and a half weeks of work--this morning I got my hair cut at 8:30 (it's finally really taking shape as longer hair, and I love the cut!) and then I went to Central Market because it's between the haircut place and the office. So I didn't get to work until ten o'clock. Had to call Melinda to come help me in with groceries. I can feel myself moving away, detaching from work--and strangely, I can feel myself learning to slow down. And so far I like it a lot. It was a good day--one of those when I woke up feeling good about myself and my world. Such a pleasure, because I haven't always felt that way in recent months. And tomorrow? I can sleep in!

No comments: