Saturday, September 06, 2008

A writing lesson

Last night I tried to outline what was still to come in my novel in progress. I finished going through the first eight chapters--not for the last time, I know--and I revised the eighth one a good bit. I had written myself a big note that said "Chapter Eight needs work." And I did that. And then I started on Chapter Nine--I knew what was going to happen, and I wrote quickly. Tonight I picked up where I'd left off and again wrote quickly. Again, I knew what was going to happen, and I wanted to get it on paper. Which, of course, made me think of Fred's constant refrain--slow down. I decided that I write fast the first time through, getting it all down, and then I can go back and embellish with details, slow down the pace. So now I'm operating under that theory and it seems to work well. (I'm only six pages into chapter nine, so that may be a premature announcement). It startled me to realize that I'm halfway through the second book. That also makes me realize I need to go back and start doing some real marketing work on the first book. No agent, no publisher for it, and the second book is worthless. So I have my work cut out for me. I did today turn down a young-adult biography assignment, though the idea of pay was negligible, and I didn't, as I think I said before, want to lose focus.
I had a yoga lesson today--a real workout, but Elizabeth seemed to think I am doing well and taught me a few new exercises to augment the half hour I do almost every day. Supposedly I alternate between riding the bike and yoga, but I find that I do the yoga more because I want to improve my strength and balance. I am really proud that I can hold a balance pose--kneeling with one leg extrended and the opposite arm extended--for a slow count of ten. I was telling Elizabeth that my ideal day is when I get home from work by noon or one, eat lunch, clean up office details, email, etc., have a nap, get up and work out and then after dinner work on my novel. She agreed that sounded like a great day. I think a lot of working women envy my schedule, and the only thing I can plead is tht I really really worked hard to get where I am.
Tonight was Gallery Night in Fort Worth--something I've enjoyed in the past but wasn't up to tonight. Melinda from the office came and picked me up and we went to the Firehouse Gallery on the east side where our author Phil Vinson was exhibiting a very few of his photographs and selling his new book (our new book), Fort Worth: A Personal View. There was a bigger crowd than I expected at the small gallery, and Phil had already sold several books. He has been such a pleasant author to work with--he and his wife, Rita, are a team, and she's really the business manager. But his book, unlike many others, went along without a hitch, appeared a month early, and looks great. I don't know that I've ever known an author as pleased with the result as Phil is, and it really makes us feel good. He's grateful, we' grateful, and it's great all the way around.
Melinda and her friend Barbara asked if I wanted to go to other galleries but I had a smorgasbord in mind for my supper--meat loaf, asparagus, smoked salmon, and marinated herring, followed by chocolate of course, and, I had that chapter in my head.

No comments: