Sunday, September 14, 2008

The day after a storm

Don't tell me weather and the barometer don't affect moods. I woke up this morning feeling more energetic and optimistic than I have in weeks. Perhaps it was relief that Colin and his family are okay, perhaps it was relief that the storm bypassed us (we could have used more rain), but I think it was just this it was a bright and sunny cool, breezy morning, the kind of fresh day you get after a rain. As usual I lingered over the paper and coffee but then I rushed around opening windows (no small trick at my house where security is a big concern), watering plants, stripping beds (including the guest apt.), filling the bird feedeer, cleaning up after the dog--in short doing all those chores I had avoided in my lethargy yesterday. Then I made a casserole to take to Jordan's tonight, rode my exercise bike, and--okay, it's barely noon, and I'm tried. But I feel good about all of it.
Later Had my nap and took my casserole out to Jordan and Christian and Jacob--who ate a surprise amount of it and said, "Thank you dinner, Juju." It was Doris' casserole, a family classic that a friend calls American lasagne. Everyone who tries it loves it--a meat and tomato layer (I used ground bison), a noodle, sour cream, cream cheese layer, topped with grated cheese and baked until hot and the cheese melts. It was a lovely evening to drive over there and back with the top down. I went back streets and by the park where there are lots of trees.
Lisa left a message while I was out that they had borrowed a generator and should be okay tonight. This morning Colin said they were fine and happy but it wasn't a great way to live. He hoped he could find out how long they would be without power and was investigating finding one online. I was afraid they were pretty scarce, so this is a good solution. Anxious to hear tomorrow how they did.

No comments: