Monday, January 14, 2008

Practicing my balance

Bebe Bahnsen sent me some really useful exercises to strengthen leg and ankle muscles and thereby improve balance. I'm really glad I live alone so no one can see me walking around the house on my toes, then on my heels, or doing sit-to-stands ten times rapidly. But I'm doing them. This morning I slept in, didn't make myself get up and exercise--which I had been dreading for a long time. Instead, I got up a little before 7, got to work, then came home and exercised before lunch. May be a new routine.
All this exercise is of course preparation for Scotland. Jordan--who is by the by a travel agent--got me a map of the British RR system. I had asked for reservations to Inverness, which is where I found some great-sounding b&bs. When I looked at the map, I realized it's really north. But I think now it would be fun to go to Inverness, spend a few days, then take the train to Aberdeen (about halfway to Edinburgh--Jordan corrected my spelling, because I'd been writing Edinborough; some Scot I am!). After a few days in Aberdeen, we could finish up in Edinburgh.
Last night I fixed myself Salisbury steak (no, not the kind in the aluminum tray), mashed potatoes, and salad--delicious. I slathered that gravy over the potatoes and loved it. Tonight I took leftovers to Jordan's and told her the meat needed to be heated in the skillet. I looked over as I was making the salad and thought she was stirring an awful lot for a dish of meat patties. Turns out she didn't get the concept of patties, so we had ground beef and mushrooms in gravy. But it was still good.
I'm a latecomer to P.D.James mysteries, but I'm now reading Innocent Blood and am thoroughly intrigued by it--the cautionary tale of what an adopted girl finds when she goes after her biological parents--but as always I find James slow. She sometimes becomes tedious in characters' introspections and in descriptions. I always have to get halfway through the book to get really hooked. Meantime, I'm back to my surgery text.

No comments: