Thursday, January 17, 2008

Public Speaking 101--and a succeess

Years ago, I used to force myself to give talks and speeches, figuring it was essential to promote TCU Press and my own writing--if you don't get out and talk about your books, no one buys them. I know from the press that the most successful authors are those who are willing to go out and speak to groups and who will take the risk of an autographing where no one shows up. I still don't mind the autographings but several years ago I decided no more speaking. My career had advanced as much as it was going to, I reasoned, and the anticipation before public speaking made me so nervous it wasn't worth the effort. Friend and mentor Jim Lee kept saying, "I don't know why you won't speak. You're really good at it." But I was firm.
Somehow a few months ago, my resolve cracked. A woman I'd met and emailed with asked me to speak at a luncheon at the Pecan Plantation Country Club. It's easy to agree to do something that's months away. We also agreed that Katie Sherrod, editor of Grace & Gumption, would also speak.
This morning that months-away event was right up in my face--10 o'clock at a country club an hour from Fort Worth. I didn't feel the panic I used to feel--medication must be working--and I hadn't prepared in laborious detail. I used to write out speeches word for word, then repeat them endlessly in the privacy of my bedroom--the children had a nanny who told them, "Your mother is talking to her papers again." This time I had a one page outline of things to cover. I planned to be Katie's warm-up act. Yes, as I waited through the inevitable, interminable business meeting, I was a little apprehensive but not really nervous. Then, at the last minute, I had to change my plan because there was a woman in the audience whom I'd spoken to by phone several years ago and whose great-grandmother's story gave me the bones for a young-adult novel.
So off the cuff I began with that, then launched into my "accidental" careeer as a writer for children and young adults. I told them about my first novel, then the rejection I got that said my writing was "pedestrian," and about the editor who says when I write for second-graders he just cuts my sentences in half! I showed them the five books I've done in the Stars of Texas series and told just a bit about each. And I ended with the story of a substitute teacher in granddaughter Maddie's room who announced to the class, "Maddie has brought her grandmother today because she has wrote some books." You know what? They laughed throughout, and afterward, Katie and I were both complimented on our senses of humor (we were surprised that the women were surprised!). Women kept coming up to us to say it was one of the best programs they'd ever had (Katie is always polished, funny, thought-provoking, and perfectly relaxed, so I hadn't worried about her!) They also commented on the rapport between us as we easily passed the mike back and forth during a Q&A session--well, why not? We're good friends. I will add that in addition to the ego boost we got a terrific lunch, including the richest chocolate ice cream I've had in forever.
It's a wonderful feeling to do something well that had worried you. So now I'm home--a glass of wine, a nap, and dinner with my friend Betty. Life looks pretty good.

No comments: