Tuesday, January 22, 2008

A miscellany of trivia

Well, politics these days isn't so trivial--it's both fascinating and frightening. But it's funny once I announced that I was for Hillary, friends and bloggers have come out of the woodwork trying to convince me Obama is the man. I'm not convinced that he'd be cool and strong in a crisis, and I still believe that we need someone with experience. But today I'm ready to toss them both overboard if they don't stop bickering. I don't want them to tell us what's wrong with the other one--I want them to tell us what they'll do for us. My friend Carol last night said she's waiting for all the candidates to say the entire slate will be involvement in high government positions, no matter who wins. They must, for instance, use Bill Richardson's expertise on international relations. Carol says she wants an Edwards/Obama ticket, though that doesn't look possible now. But the fighting is unbecoming and doesn't make us look any better as a nation than the anger and belligerence of the current administration does.
On a happier note, my Kindle arrived. Much intimidated, I charged it up, opened it, and paged easily through the user's guide that opens automatically. Then the menu came up, and there were the four books I've already ordered--including one on how to publish your manuscript on Kindle. But I don't know how to open the books. I'm stumped. I'll have to call customer service. It's a wonderful device--size is good, it's easy to read, lightweight. The keyboard is small, and I haven't figured out what to do with it but I'll keep trying. I don't want it to be one of those things I underuse because I don't understand all parts of it--which is to some extent true with the computer!
Tonight Betty and I went for comfort food--she had soup and salad and I had a baked potato. It's cold and raw out and we felt the need for that kind of food rather than sophistication for our palate. But we had the most sour waiter--I wanted to ask if he ever smiled. Last night, Kathie and Carol came from supper--they're both friends and book colleagues--and I fixed a spaghetti that Megan would say "rocks." Whole wheat spaghetti with a sauce made of olive oil, chopped Italian parsley, capers and just a touch of anchovy (3 filets, not paste). You stir fry thinly sliced Savoy cabbage in oil, then add haricots vert and fry quickly. Then add the sauce and pasta and a generous amount of good shredded parmesan. It was delicious but by the time I did the dishes the anchovy smell was stronger, and I felt the little bit of leftover wouldn't keep well. Tomorrow night I'm doing lamb chops, brussel sprouts, and salad for Jordan--shhh! she doesn't know about the brussel sprouts but I'll roast them and they'll be sweet and good.

No comments: