Friday, October 05, 2007

Still doing nothing--hard

The fact that I've not posted for 5 or 6 days does not mean that life has been dull--though I'm not sure where ithe week went. As I look back on it, there weren't that many events--a luncheon for the past presidents of the Friends of TCU Library where we had wonderful roast beef, a dinner of tapas and wine with Betty where I caught up on her trip to San Diego, and just lots of work. Yesterday, Thursday, Gayla came from College Station and A&M to pick up books, jackets--and me. We were supposed to have a late lunch, but I gave up on her. Went home, had lunch, a bit of wine, and a nap before she ever got here. We went to Dallas to a signing for Fran Vick's new book, co-authored with Jane Monday, Petra's Legacy. The party, at Fran's son's lovely home, was fun--I saw people I was glad to see, helped Gayla sell books, drank a bit more wine than I should have, and ate a lot of the most delicious meatballs I've ever had. Jamie came to pick me up--but he got most distracted visiting with all of Fran's children, with whom he worked for years. It was almost 8:30 before we left, but we did make it to Frisco before the girls went to bed, and I had a good visit with them. They seemed glad to see me and show off all their tricks, tell me what they'd been doing. This morning, before school, I got about another hour of their time. Maddie conned me with a card trick her dad had taught her--and then explained the con to me, including the way you distract your target victim from what you're doing. What is she learning at age 8? Edie claims she is counting the days until I come back--7 days--and how long I'll stay--four days, or at least parts of them. We're planning to cook and have fun while her mom and sister are at camp and her dad does a triathlon.
Even my reading was "escapist" this week--I finished the Catherine Coulter and moved on to a J.A.Jance novel that I finished today. So now I'll get back to some serious reading--a memoir about life in the Highland Breaks at the north end of the Isle of Skye and the book Same Kind of Different As Me, about the friendship of a high-end art dealer and a man who was homeless for 30 years. It's a "buzz" book, the kind that everyone talks about, and Ron Hall and Denver Moore are ubiquitous. As I mentioned I heard them last week at church. They've been at churches all over town and drawn huge crowds and were to be at TCU last night for an alumni dinner. Proceeds of the book--which must be mounting by now--go to help the homeless.
This morning we missed the train, and Jamie very sweetly drove me to Fort Worth because he said it was his fault we missed the train. Blame aside, I was glad to get home about 11:00, get a few things done at the office and grocery, and come home to read all the things I had stacked up. Tomorrow two book signings, Sunday a trip to Central Market and dinner for Jordan and Christian. No big deals, nothing significant, no earth-shattering insights to share or even penetrating analyses of literature--just the thought that life is good.

No comments: