Friday, October 26, 2007

What a Week!

Whoosh! What a week! I came home about about two this Friday afternoon and thought gratefully that I don't have to do anything I don't want to for the next day and a half. My week was filled with small chores--a flu shot, cooking two company dinners, turning in my rent car and getting my VW back (thank heaven). I'd been driving a PT Cruiser while my VW bug convertible was getting the dent pounded out where a woman driving an "old lady's car"--a steamboat she couldn't steer--gently bumped into the side of my car. It may have been gentle but it left a good dent. Both my brother and my younger daughter thought it was embarrassing that I was driving a PT Cruiser, and truth to tell I didn't like it nearly as well as my car. In fact, I got so flummoxed by getting the car switch done and then rushing to the grocery to have supper supplies for Jordan and family that night I forgot an appointment with my boss--not good politics, but she was very understanding.
But there were bigger things in my week: a meeting of the TCU Press Advisory Council (went well, came up with good suggestions and ideas), a talk to a senior level marketing class, a talk to a local women's group of about 20 on one of our new books. I had a couple of important business lunches--always looking for projects and partners in publishing--a meeting about finances, and a conference with a woman who's done a children's book on cleaning up our rivers. As an academic press, children's books are not our thing, but this might be a public service project.
Tonight I'm home itching to read a good book, though first I may work a bit on my book on great Texas chefs. I drafted a piece on Terry Thompson-Anderson last night. She cooks with Creole and French influences and does a lot of game, like quail with black coffee gravy (sounds wonderful!)
The week also brought interesting possible projects to the press, particularly the idea of a book on Texas Congressional legislators--Sam Rayburn, Lyndon Johnson, Jim Wright, and a host of others. In general I am out of patience with politicians, from national to local. I read with amusement this morning that the White House press secretary justified the "editing" of the recent report on the environment to emphasize the positive aspects of global warming. Excuse me? It seems she did a spin that said it was good for the world because it keeps people from freezing to death. Makes me feel we're living in the dark ages of superstition.
And then there's the local city council member who "outed" a candidate for the council at a public meeting. That particular candidate has been public about his lifestyle for many years, but to bring it up in a joking manner at a fundraiser was unbelievably crude, and I resent that the man who did it (I won't use the term gentleman) serves on our city council. I write letters to the editor and try to make my voice heard so often that I am sure they're tired of me and grateful for their once-a-month rule.
Tomorrow I'm going to Central Market, a trip I always enjoy, and I'm going to cook a huge pot of pinto bean soup for company Sunday night. And I've got a new mystery to read--Garnett Hill by Denise Mina. It's set in Glasgow and was one of several Scottish mysteries I found listed in an article by a friend in the TCU Retireees Newsletter. In the spirit of my learning about all things Scottish, I thought I should read it. Strictly duty, you understand.

No comments: