Friday, January 05, 2007

Back into the routine

Sometimes I think short work weeks, like the one we've just had, seem longer. All day Wednesday I was convinced that the next day was Friday. Now it finally is Friday, and I'm looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow morning and getting up to read the paper without feeling that I have to do my workout (ten minutes of stretches and 20 minutes on the exercise bike--not a lot, but I do it five days a week). I really don't like getting up at 6:15, but when it's a work day I wake up automatically and, of course, can't doze. Being compulsive is sometimes good, lots of times a pain.
I've also been fairly compulsive about working on the young-adult biography of Oprah Winfrey, havent let myself been too distracted by the Deborah Crombie novel I'm reading (I'm afraid I've now read my way through the body of her work). What a complex, complicated, hard to grasp person Oprah is--I applaud so much of what she does and says, and yet a little part of my wonders--perhaps about ego, perhaps about extravagance. If her academy in South Africa were less lavish, would she be able to help educate more children? How can you criticize someone who does so much good in the world?
My feelings about Nancy Pelosi are less complicated. For now, I'm a convinced fan. I think the lady is stylish and smart and tough and I hope she can stand her ground, especially about Iraq. It's going to be an interesting two years.
Six-month-old Jacob has become my best friend, the only person I know who ALWAYS smiles when he sees me! Such fun. He is, of course, the only grandchild close enough that I see him once or twice a week. Yesterday his mother and I took him to our favorite nice restaurant for lunch. The owner, a friend with a new baby of his own, made Jacob giggle by chewing on his fingers. Tomorrow night, Jacob will bring his parents for Twelfth Night. When I was a young child, a so-called aunt who lived two doors away used to have me burn a small bit of the Christmas tree on Twelfth Night and make a wish. So my family has continued the tradition. Of course, I didn't have a tree--and the kids have an artificial one, as does almost everyone. But we talked about the tradition at New Year's dinner, and my neighbor's father spotted a real tree put out by the curb on a neighborhood walk. He appeared at the front door with a handful of greens for me. Sue's parents are leaving tomorrow morning or I'd invite them to join us in making a wish.
My wish will involve safety and happiness for my family and friendsd and peace on earth.

No comments: