Friday, January 19, 2007

Home Again

Home again, and already missing the grandsons and their parents. We left Austin yesterday morning, and other than closed freeways in downtown Austin, the trip was uneventful--dry roads almost empty of traffic most of the way. Even saw the sun a time or two, but only briefly. We stopped in the heaviliy Czech town of West for lunch at a small cafe, which was fun.
Today, it's rainy and cold--may not be below freezing, but it feels like 10 or so outside. I'm cold inside the house all the time, even though I'm bundled up and have turned the heat up. This afternoon, I brought Scooby inside, and the two of us had a long, lovely nap, both warm and comfortable. I'm about to go back to bed, just to get warm.
It's hard to get back into routine--I feel that I've lost track of a thousand threads of my life and am only slowly catching up with them. The week ahead looks busy--house guests, some down-home cooking, a mosaic class at church. The latter interests me--we're to make wooden crosses, and although the tiles will be supplied, we can bring chipped dishes if we want. I have eaten off Blue Willow all my life, so I'm taking some chipped plates. A Blue Willow cross sounds lovely to me.
The only other accomplishment I can think of is that I astounded Megan and Brandon by singing "Mairzy doats and doezy doats" to them--they spent an entire evening trying to learn it. Brandon still hasn't mastered it, but his botched attempts send Sawyer into hysterics. And little Ford, at 3 mos., would crinkle his face in a smile when I sang it to him. Megan found a website that said the song was written in 1943, but my brother, John, remembers that his father taught it to him--and his father died in 1934. Somewhere we found a reference to it as an "old English ditty." The little things that make family memories.

No comments: