Saturday, January 20, 2007

Cooking in Cold Weather

It's one of those bone-chilling days, not really so cold but so wet that one is perpetually cold. Compulsive that I am I was out early to two grocery stores--Central Market for meat and lettuce, Minyard's for canned goods, etc. Now I'm home with chicken cooking for King Ranch casserole--Jordan's choice for tomorrow night--and an acorn squash baking for my supper tonight. Last night I went to a German restaurant and was served way too much excellent schnitzel, so I'm thinking of creative ways to use it today--in a sandwich at lunch and refreshed under the broiler at dinner. I'm in for the rest of the day--too cold to venture out again if I don't have to.
It occurs to me that I'm always rewriting my cookbook in my head and should get it down on paper. For instance, Megan said she doesn't make King Ranch because she hates shredding the meat. I need to change "boil an old hen" to "salt and pepper 2-1/2 full chicken breasts, top with a few onion rings, cover the pan with foil and bake." Much easier and better for you. And every time I visit Megan I learn--or relearn--something. This time she reminds me to use Kosher salt in cooking and at the table--much better.
I'm also adding new recipes. My latest is shepherd's pie. Megan and Brandon remembered the English version and were distinctly uninterested, but I persevered and made a great casserole they both loved. Just ground meat and vegetables in a beef gravy (added some ketchup), topped with sour-cream garlic mashed potatoes and then with grated cheese. Brandon didn't even mind the broccoli he says I snuck in, but I think Christian is afraid I'll put peas in it.
A wonderful day for reading and writing, and I plan to do both. I'm tired of being perpetually cold and am really bundled up--three layers on top, cozy flannel pants and knee socks. Torn between letting Scooby in out of the rain and having a fire--the two aren't compatible.

No comments: