Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Sophie’s home—yay!

 



We picked Soph up about two this afternoon. She is definitely mad at me, as the vet predicted. I’d hold my hand out for her to come to me, long a signal between us, and she’d very deliberately turn her head the other way and then go to Jordan or Christian. But she is much better, and the vet says he feels good about sending her home. He didn’t last week when he gave her to us but wanted so badly for her to be home that he went against his better judgment. This week, he feels it’s okay.

But she needs regular medication, after she eats. And therein is the rub. She’s not eating. They sent home some of the prescription kibble (of course!) that they’ve been feeding her, but she is not one bit interested. Since her insulin (essential) and other meds depend on eating, this is a major problem. If it weren’t for the insulin, I wouldn’t be upset. Coming home from the hospital is terribly hard for any of us, and I think it will take a while for her to settle in. Jordan has now taken her into the main house, to see if she’ll eat if she thinks the other dogs might get her food. I guess we are not above trickery. PS It didn’t work.

We did get a bark out of her this afternoon—I was roasting kielbasa, having hasselbacked it and basted with a mix of mustard and honey. It set off the smoke alarm, which has always alarmed Sophie. She barked furiously, and we thought that was a good sign. First bark I’ve heard since Christmas, when she first showed signs of illness. Yes, it’s been a long haul.

I feel a sense of letdown a bit. It is of course wonderful to have her home, but it isn’t. I’m well aware of the adjustment period but wanting normalcy back immediately. I guess that’s a human reaction. And we have to remember that she, like me, is an old lady.

This afternoon Sophie came to me, while I was sitting on the edge of my bed talking on the phone. We have long had a ritual of loving and visiting at my bedside first thing in the morning, when I just swing my legs out of bed, and last thing in the evening when I am ready to swing those legs back into the bed. So this afternoon I was sure it was a good sign. Turns out she was only trying to tell me she wanted to go outside. But just now, she came to my desk, waited for me to push my walker aside, and then moved in close for some loving. I told her how much I love her and explained she needs to eat to get better. The latter feel on deaf ears, I’m sure, but we had a nice visit.

I’m sure Sophie and I will both be happier campers tomorrow. Thanks to all for prayers and good wishes.

 

No comments: