Monday, January 09, 2023

Game Day and other things

 

 

 


Megan and grandson Ford at the game

I suspect that almost anyone who reads my blog is watching the TCU/Georgia championship game at this moment. As I write, it’s halftime and not looking good for TCU. On the other hand, they have pulled off some amazing second-half recoveries this season, and it’s not over until it’s over. Jordan and Christian are at a watch party, Megan and grandson Ford are actually at the game, and Colin said he’d be watching. Jamie is like me—it’s on in the background.

I forgot to ask what channel it would be on, so I texted Jordan just before the game began. She gave me directions which did not work at all. So she said Christian was coming home at half-time to feed the dogs and would show me. Meantime, I pulled up what the Star-Telegram said would be streaming coverage. It was just that, full of yards and downs and passes and things this lukewarm fan has never learned to master. So occasionally I pull up a page that says simply, “TCU football” and check the score.

A former TCU football team member, years ago, recalled on Facebook the time he played, when paying football players got you in big trouble with the NCAA, when there weren’t so many bowls and a bowl invitation had meaning, before schools realized the financial benefits of a winning team, and football was a Saturday afternoon thing. Yes, I remember those days at TCU too, and our win record was abysmal, but still I cling to the idea that that is the way college football should be. Color me a curmudgeon.

On to other things. I wrote 1200 words in a flurry this morning, because it was something I’d been writing in my head for days—came quickly and easily. Then tonight, I struggled to get not quite 800 words on a blog possibility that just came my way today and has to be in by Saturday. Whole different process. I’ve now put the blog away for tonight and will revisit it tomorrow. Maybe it will sound better then.

Sophie is still improving but not quite ready to come home yet. Jordan is right that we don’t want to bring her home, only to have to take her back. But the cottage has a hollow feeling to it, an emptiness. And sometimes I hear noises that if she were here, I would attribute to her rooting around in the rug or turning in her crate or something. Without her I have no explanation for things that go bump in the night. It’s both lonely and unnerving.

My good news for the day is that I went to the cardiologist for a routine appointment, and he said they don’t need to see me for a year. Jordan thinks it’s because life in the cottage agrees with me, and I think she may well be right. Which means I have a big debt of gratitude to all my children but especially to Jordan and Christian who get twenty-four-hour responsibility. I try to be as independent as I can, but there’s no longer the possibility of driving myself to doctors’ appointments. So Jordan and I had a bit of together time today.

Christian has gotten the game on my TV or me—he pressed the same buttons I did, but for him it worked. I will never understand why that happens with phones, TV, computer, etc. My touch is sometimes electronic death.

Do I really want to watch this?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad the cardiology don’t want to see you a year ❤️❤️

judyalter said...

Thank you.