Saturday, October 18, 2008

A yoga day

Today was a yoga day but also a tired one, for no known reason. I went to Central Market fairly early but felt like I was just plodding my way through the store. Just after I got the groceries put up, Elizabeth arrived for a yoga lesson, and I told her I was having a tired day. But she boosted my spirits greatly when she said she could tell I was stronger and more flexible than when I started yoga. She asked if could tell, and in a way I can--there are poses I can do know that I couldn't before, but in a way I can't tell because I can't see or feel the day to day slow changes. Its like yesterday when the lovely lady that cuts my hair asked if I was getting a lot of comments on how much longer it is, and I said I wasn't. I think it's because people see me every day. Anyway, yoga invigorated me, but then this evening when I stood in the kitchen cooking for an hour, my low back forced me to sit every once in a while--and that made me tired. I made mashed potatoes for tomorrow night's company dinner and discovered that I bought the wrong cut of meat for the recipe I'm using--instead of a pork loin roast, I bought pork tenderloins. Bet I can improvise. But more about that menu tomorrow, because it really is a good one. Tonight I stir-fried some veggies that were in the fridge--asparation (which I'd never heard of--I thought I was buying broccolini), onion, zucchini, and some fresh mushrooms, then added bay scallops. Sooo good.
I sat outside to read for a bit tonight before the dark that comes way too early these days. It was so still that it was almost eerie--not a breath of wind anywhere.
Back to revising my mystery--maybe revising is a way of avoiding writing new text. I have to stay up late enough tonight to watch Sarah Palin and Tina Fey on Saturday Night Live. Whatever else Governor Palin has done, she has certainly brought new life to SNL. I read a letter to the editor that made me laugh the other day: a reader wrote that he or she would never vote for Palin to be a heartbeat away from the presidency, because she doesn't use correct grammar. It seems that before the vice-presidential debate, she approached Senator Biden and said "Can I call you Joe?" whereas any grammarian knows she should have said, "May I call you Joe?" I can think of a lot of reasons I don't want her a heartbeat from the presidency but that small grammatical slip is not one of them. If you were watching, she did call him "Joe," and he addressed her as "Governor."

No comments: