Thursday, August 30, 2018

Pomp, circumstance, and the ridiculous



I’m a sucker for pomp and circumstance. I like the formality, the sense that such ceremonies carry on traditions, speak to our values. And I like Joe Biden. So it’s no wonder I teared up today when I saw the clip of him tearing up while delivering an eulogy at the Arizona service for John McCain. It was all done in such good taste, with such control, the widow composed as she laid a cool cheek against the casket. And then came Meghan, the daughter, who completely fell apart. Someone remarked that we all grieve in different ways,, and I thought yes, but she should have been given a moment of privacy rather than having her momentary breakdown broadcast to the nation.

By coincidence, I saw a Craig’s List ad for actors in the Phoenix area, with the note that they would be expected to perform some protest activities. Tell me, please, that nobody was hiring people to protest at the funeral. I heard of no such activity.

I have been fascinated, too, with accounts of McCain’s 106-year-old mother. I admire strength, and she is obviously one strong woman. She is expected to attend the services in DC, and I want to wave and say, “I”ll be there too.” For I will, via TV.

I think the pomp and circumstance surrounding this death is particularly important. It points up to the nation that we’ve lost a hero, a man who put country above party and self, a man who embodied the best of what we think of as American values. No, I didn’t always agree with him on issues—he was too militaristic for me, too much of a war hawk, and I didn’t like his stance on abortion. And we won’t even discuss his misbegotten choice of Sarah Palin as a running mate. But I always trusted that the decisions he made came from deep conviction and carefully thought-out positions.

IN death, as in life, he stands in stark contrast to those who would now run our country, and much as I am against politicizing any death, I hope the voters remember this at the polls in November. We must take our country back to save ourselves—and in so doing we can honor John McCain.

And on to the trivia for the day. Remember when the Barnett Shales was discovered, and gas beneath our property was going to make us each a fortune? Yeah, I sort of forgot too. But today I got my annual royalty check--$2.04. Out of my way! I have to get to the bank!

No comments: