Sunday, March 20, 2011

What's the best burger you ever ate?

I watch the food channel a lot, sometimes with only half an eye as my attention is focused on the work on my desk, but by late morning I usually have it on (okay, I'm a TODAY show junkie). Today the show, "The Best Thing I Ever Ate" was devoted to burgers, and there were some tempting concoctions there, including a cheeseburger topped by potato chips But I got to thinking the best burger I ever ate was at home: I buy the prepared chopped sirloin patties at Central Market, cut them in half, and freeze half. Shape the other half into a pattie, sprinkle the skillet liberally with salt but no oil, and slap the patty on at high heat. Brown on one side, turn, brown, and remove. It comes out crispy and good on the outside and warm but barely cooked on the inside--just the way I love it. I toast a piece of rye bread, put mayo on it, cut in half, top one half with the burger, a tomato slice, and maybe a bit of red onion. So good! My mom taught me the salt trick years ago.
I was no slouch in the kitchen tonight either. We had Jordan's birthday party and bless her heart, she worked herself into a frenzy over it--we held it on my porch. Her friends used to come to porch parties all the time, and they miss them. In recent years, as little children appeared, it was easier to have patio parties at Jordan and Christian's  where there's an enclosed yard, etc. But we decided on a nostalgic porch party--which meant Jordan transported 40 carloads of stuff--well, it seemed that way. We had chicken nuggets and cheese sticks and juice boxes and bananas for the kids; she brought meatballs and taquitos for the adults, and I made four dips--a bean/cheese one, a spinach/cheese/artichoke, our traditional corn dip, and--best of all to me--a reuben dip, with corned beef, sauerkraut, Swiss cheese, 1000 Island dressing, and just enough cream cheese to hold it all together. Jeannie, if you're reading this, I suggest that for lunch tomorrow.
Jordan worked herself into a second frenzy cleaning the kitchen--I helped when I could, when all the guests left. But she left me in great shape, and I didn't have to do a lot. The party was a lot of work for both of us, but I found it worth it. I've known and loved some of these young people for almost twenty years, and it's been a while since I've seen them. Special delight was that the Frisco Alters came, and I had a good visit with Jamie and Mel and some visits with Maddie and Edie. Maddie mostly spent her time looking after young children, and Edie hung around her parents, but it was so good to see those delightful girls. Jacob was beyond excitement with about ten kids to play with in the front yard. They tossed frisbies, had ice fights, jumped rope and just plain ran.
So tonight I am thankful for family and friends and once again counting my blessings. Tomorrow? A genealogy day!

1 comment:

Kaye George said...

You had me at "Central Market"! I wish we lived closer to one. Jealous!