Sunday, February 28, 2010

What did you cook today?

Sundays always bring out the cook in me, or maybe weekends do. Last night I fixed one of my favorite meals--stir-fried asparagus, onion, mushrooms, and tomatoes (you have a huge plate of vegetables before you know it). Took them out of the pan and sauteed bay scallops, with nothing more than salt and pepper. I used to add soy or lemon or something to them, but they are so good just by themselves. Ate the whole huge plate and loved it.
This morning I made a do-ahead dish to take to Sue tonight at her new house. She had thought her kids would be with their father, but they weren't, and I had only brought two servings of a veggie dish they probably wouldn't like. I sauteed a bit of thyme (too little), a bit of red peppr (I'm very cautious with crushed red pepper but even I admit I could have used more), onion, and capers--in retrospect I would do the spices and capers first, then add the onion because it releases liquid. When the onions were soft I added some diced, cooked potatoes (I had fried them for extra effect but it got lost in the final dish), a can of fire-roasted tomatoes, and a can of artichoke hearts. I didn't know if fire roasted meant spicy or not, so I tasted them before I cooked the red pepper. But I really couldn't tell much difference between them and diced tomatoes in sauce. Anyway you cook this a bit and then can refrigerate until serving time.
At suppertime, make wells with a spoon for two eggs per person and break eggs into the wells. Bake at 375 for 12-15 minutes or until eggs are set as you want them. Sprinkle with Parmesan and serve. It ended up being the kind of dinner you soak baguette slices in to get the last of the juice--really good, very tomato-ey.
Sue has done a remarkable job in 24 hours of making her house liveable. It's bigger than her house next door to me (which is good with one teenager and one about-to-be) but she has room to buy furniture, which makes me a bit jealous. I occasionally see pieces I'd like to have but there's simply no room in my house. Sue's new house is a 1940s model (I think that's what she said) so it lacks the charm of her 1920s house by me but makes up for it in many other ways--space, a family room, a huge deck out back, a large room she can use as an office, and a much bigger kitchen. She'll settle in, get into a routine, and be very happy, though I'm sure we'll continue to see her.
My main accomplishment for the day was not culinary. It was getting the edited Trash History manuscript, with notes and captions, off to the publisher. Not that I don't have a lot of projects on my desk, but this one was huge, and I was pleased to get it off.
I'm going to read a mystery and worry about the othr projects tomorrow. Maybe Trash Hisstory has put the Gone with The Wind philosophy in my mind.

No comments: