Friday, July 25, 2008

A technological genius--well, sort of

Like many people of my generation, I'm not super smart about computers, remote control programming of televisions, and the like, though I think I do better than some. Still, I've had a spate of disasters--don't they say bad things happen in threes? The other day my TV in my home office, where I religiously watch the news, told me the smart card was not inserted correctly. What smart card? Nobody had touched anything since I turned it off the night before and it was fine. A lengthy phone call to the tech people (I have DISH) determined that the receiver had gone blooey and they would send me a new one, for only $14.95 shipping (isn't it their fault?). It arrived yesterday, and I took one look last night at the directions and threw up my hands--okay, it was late and I'd had a glass of wine. But I'd wait for Brandon, my son-in-law with a graduate degree in computer software, to arrive for dinner tonight. First big glitch: Brandon had a mandatory work meeting at four and they didn't get out of Austin until five or worse. So today I decided to be bold, and I actually disconnected the old receiver and got the new one hooked up. Only two problems: I have one cord left over that I don't know what to do with, and there's no picture. But still, I'm pretty proud of what I did do.
Then last night my wireless mouse stopped working. Not a big deal--I've changed the batteries a hundred times. Only this time, it didn't start working with new batteries. Talked to Brandon, who told me what to do--it didn't work, and I told him I'd wait till he got up here. Well, the poor thing does not want to be hit with all my problems when he walks in the door. I tried his solution again, and then I rebooted--it worked! So that's back in business.
Third one: this afternoon I was fixing lunch and decided to change channel on the kitchen TV. It told me to choose a favorite. Well, my favorite is 5.1 which is the Channel 5 High definition channel, but you can only choose 5, not 5.1 on the remote.5 comes in fuzzy. And every time I try to change it, the TV makes the new one the "fav." I honestly don't want a "fav"--I want all the channels. I've fiddled with it but can't do that one.
So I figure it's win, lose and draw for me and technology.
I had planned a great dinner for the family that won't get here untiil 9 tonight--hot German potato salad (my very favorite), Kosher hot dogs, and three bean salad (already made). I went ahead and made a smaller potato salad for me and had a wonderful dinner. Who knows what I'll feed those boys tomorrow night when Megan and Brandon go to her 20th high school reunion. Jordan and Jacob are coming over to play with the boys and have dinner. Another nice weekend of grandchildren.

No comments: