Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Remodeling




For the last month or two, Lewis Bundock, the contractor who keeps small things around my house in shape between bigger jobs, has supervised remodeling of my garage apartment--hardwood floors, a paint job, upgraded plumbing, removal of an add-on closet extension that really crowded the bathroom, and installation of mini blinds. Okay, I know mini-blinds are passe but I'm not putting plantation shutters out there for all the use that room gets. I ordered furniture--a futon and a double-over-double bunk bed, which I didnt even know they made. But now it's all together, except that I need a rug in the middle of the floor, matching linens on the bunk beds, and the futon mattress cover that I ordered--it's a blue pattern. I'm trying for a yellow and blue theme out there. The kids will try it out when they're here for my birthday the weekend of July 17th. It doesn't have a kitchen, more like a dormitory that can now sleep eight. No kids under six in the upper bunk--firm house rule.

Betty and I went on a grand adventure today. There's a court with maybe eight houses around it a little east of here, on the edge of the neighborhood I'm writing about in my novel. I wanted to explore it, but I wanted company to do it. So off we went. To my surprise, most of the houses were in pretty good shape--what gives one the derelict idea and what I'd seen before is a crumbling concrete wall around the court. Inside, though, there's only an unpaved, divided road, and landscaping that has dried up and given up. So in spite of the okay houses, the place has a seedy air, even more so from the perimeter where garages seem falling down and weeds prevail. A curious place at best, but it will be in my second mystery. No, no publisher, no agent, no one has bitten on the first novel, but I well know that perseverance is the key to success. I'm persevering.

After our adventure we ate lunch at the Art Gallery Cafe which Betty had only been to once and I hadn't been to often--a wonderful toato basil soup and we split half a sandwich--melted cheddar and provolone with tomato and bacon. I could have done with the soup and forgotten the sandwich, because I felt so guilty for eating bread which is not currently on my diet.

I'm not following a prescribed diet, but I'm cutting back on helpings, carbs, and luxuries like chocolate sundaes at night. I'm trying for no snacks after 7 p.m. but that's hard--I get really hungry about ten. For the past three days I've done 30 minutes of yoga and 4 miles on my stationary bike every day. And suddenly this week I feel better about my body. I'm not sure I've lost weight but I just feel better--also in my head. I think I attribute it mostly to the yoga although I know I have to do the bike for the cardio. Still, I'm a bit smug this week.

No comments: