Friday, August 31, 2007

What a Day!

Some days it doesn't pay to leave the house. This morning I woke up earlier than usual, so I sort of meandered through the morning. I was wandering through the morning paper when I glanced at the clock--it was ten minutes of eight and I'm usually at the office by eight! I hurried to dress and make the bed, but as I was backing out of the driveway I realized I didn't have my cell phone. Went back in, unplugged it from the charger, and tried again. Then I realized I needed gas, so I stopped at 7-11. The pump said it couldn't read my card, so I went around to another pump, got gas, and was in my car about to turn the key to leave when a woman in a big "old lady's car" (Megan's term for Cadillacs, Buicks, etc.) backed into me. It's not bad, but it's clearly a dent. She suggested I was too far out from the pump and that was the problem, but she went to write down her insurance info. While I waited I thought I better call the office and assure Melinda I really was coming in. Cell phone was dead. At the office I called Verizon, and they said to take it in, it was probably time for a new phone. Then I talked to Jamie who gave me a long lecture about not letting them give me a cheap phone--I'm not sure what his idea of cool is, but he clearly didn't trust me. So Melinda and I went to lunch at a place out near Verizon. Handed them the phone, said it was dead, and they said, "You need to turn it on." Reminded me of the time I called an electrician, and he changed the light bulb. Melinda did NOT laugh--she just kept saying, "At least you don't have to buy a new phone." Jamie said, "Score one for the blondes!"
When I got home today about 2:30 there was a sweet message from Edie, left about 8:30 when she was on her way to school. It just said, "I hope you have a lovely day." I thought about it and realized that after 8:30, I did have a pretty lovely day.
The Frisco Alters (Jamie, Mel and the girls) are going to Austin this weekend for a triathlon. Megan had invited me to come for the weekend, but I thought in light of my recent physical disaster I should stay home, even though I face one of what I use to call "divorcees damn long weekends." It will make me sad that some of my grandkids are together, and I'm not there--but I think this is best. I have no pressing projects but things to do, books to read, neighbors to vist. I think Jordan, Jacob and I will have lunch tomorrow, and I may go with them to Christian's parents for supper on Sunday. Meantime, I'm going to finish that women's rights manuscript.
I'm back to reading How the Scots Invented the Modern World, and I get excited reading about the history and even more excited thinking about going to those places. I have a vision of myself walking around, open-mouthed, gaping at everything.
I hope each of you have a lovely day ever day.

No comments: