Monday, July 16, 2007

Computer troubles, index problems--and good friends

I've decided that computers are my enemy. I'm sure it's only a temporary decision, but wow! Sunday morning, my computer had turned itself off and wouldn't turn back on. I finally babied, coaxed, and did everything I knew--and it booted, albeit with a message that my battery was low and I should plug it immediately into a power source. Of course it stays plugged in, so that made no sense. Then my internet kept dropping off, coming back on mysteriously. My son-in-law Brandon, the computer guru, gave me a vague, "I don't know what's wrong. Don't worry as long as it's working." Well, the internet went down again today, then up, then down--I ran diagnostics on it, and kept getting told it's a network problem. Of course calls to my service provider involve lengthy stays on the phone that make me long for a speaker phone at home like I have at work--30 minutes last night. But tonight I got a helpful man who spoke clear good English and offered to call me back rather than make me wait. He did, there's a short in my wiring--the good news is I have "inside line insurance"--and a repairman will be out tomorrow. It's sort of hard to take an online course when you're internet connection keeps dropping out.
To add to my list of non-serious complaints, I spent the weekend checking final proofs of a book, which wouldn't have been a bad chore, except that the pages re-flowed and threw the index all off. So I had to check lots of index entries individually. Took me all weekend, and as I worked I thought about Carol, the indexer, who was off for some "R&R" at a cabin somewhere, and Melinda, our production manager, who was partying in San Marcos. I rained unpleasant thoughts on their heads.
But there were bright spots that proved to me that friends always save the day. Saturday night Jeannie and I went to the Star, the restaurant where I used to work, to celebrate Betty's birthday (she and her husband own it). About ten of us gathered around the back table and had a jolly time. It was good to eat that food again. But I missed some of the familiar faces from when I was there. The restaurant is much busier these days and I was not sorry I'm no longer helping out.
Sunday night my neighbors and Jordan and Jacob came for supper. I had made a large batch of crockpot barbecue--an experiment which came out well--and some homemade "northern-style" beans. I've been lazy lately, buying Bush's Original because they taste so good. But these, with bacon and molasses in them, reminded me how good they are when you make them from scratch. My neighbor Jay, whose wife is out of town, made a double fudge chocolate cake with Dove bars melted in the middle of it--talk about rich! We had a good jolly time, and Jacob was sure we'd all gathered for his amusement and to entertain him--we did. Sue's son, Hunter, at seven, was cute with him and so thrilled that he thought Jacob was glad to see him.
As always, life is good.

No comments: