Monday, July 09, 2007

Back in school

Well, I'm back in school again. I've signed up for an online graduate course in Women Writing in the U.S. that has a definite medical bent--so it interests me for the medical angle and the literature angle. I also signed up, as a guest observer, because I wanted to see how online or distance teaching works, and it's fascinating though a bit confusing. Requirements are that you make three original posts to the bulletin board and one reply, or something like that, (substitutes for participation in class discussion) and you get points for each one. Papers are submitted online, and everything is independent. The class never meets.
The course also forces me to put aside my mysteries and read serious literature. I never paid much attention to Henry James in graduate school--can't remember if I even had a class that included him. But now I've read Daisy Miller (sorry, but I still find James ponderous) and I'm about to tackle the short story, "The Yellow Wallpaper," by Charlotte Perkins Gilman. All this, of course, has a strong feminist twist to it, but the articles about attitudes toward women and health in the 19th century were fascinating. And this afternoon I found myself really exhilarated by the new stuff I was reading, the new information I was gaining.
In truth, I came home today thinking I didn't have much on my plate--but then, with the course and a topic I thought of independently that I want to investigate--too soon to talk about it--I had a busy afternoon. So the truth comes home to me once more--I need to have projects to keep my busy--and happy. I'd like it, of course, if they were all paying projects, but if not, as long as they engage me intellectually, I'm content.
My neighbors, Jay and Susan, brought over a bottle of wine last night along with a bird feeder, a garbage can full of seed, and a measuring scoop. They know how much I enjoy the birds at their feeder--okay, I once semi-complained because it went empty when they were out of town, and I offered to fill it because the birds quit coming. Anyway, they wanted me to have one outside my kitchen window. I quick called Jim who does my yard, but he came today, mowed, and forgot about the feeder! I called and whined. My next project is going to be to learn to recognize more than robins, cardinals, and dove. I may also hang a hummingbird feeder on the porch.
Meantime, while Jay and Susan were here Jordan and Jacob arrived for dinner, and we all had a jolly happy hour, with Jacob clearly the center of attention. Then Jacob got hungry, and all bets were off.
Life is good.

No comments: