Friday, July 20, 2007

Birds and fish

My new bird feeder is wonderful! I can stand at the kitchen window and watch forever. The wrens line up on the fence, waiting their turn. If one flies at a wren who's feeding, a fight ensues. They are scrappy little birds. I frequently see a dove on the fence, and tonight I saw a cardinal. Jay, my neighbor, greased the pole to his feeder, but I watched a squirrel slide down it the other day and then determinedly claw his way back up. I have not yet seen a squirrel on my feeder, which hangs from a tree, but Jay said not to brag too soon--and he's probably right. But still, the little narrow passageway between our two houses is filled with birds and chirping, and it's just great. When I went out to refill the feeder tonight, I gave Scooby a stern lecture that it's alright for him to chase squirrels, but he must not chase birds.
I haven't seen any hummingbirds on the feeder that I put on the front porch. I also got one for Susan, next door, and Jay hung it outside their back door, in that narrow passageway, hoping that maybe by the time Susan comes home from a trip next week there would be birds. But so far no luck. The feeders are glass, with red flowers for the birds to feed through--so much prettier than those gaudy plastic things. Unfortunately Jeannie tells me that the birds like those plastic ones much better--she has a pretty one and a plastic one--and you can guess which one the birds go to.
Kind of an off day. I had a difficult situation at the office and though I was fairly confident of the way I handled it, it left me unsettled. Maybe my blue mood was aggravated by a falling barometer or whatever, but rain threatened all afternoon. We got barely a sprinkle though. But tonight I fixed myself a filet of Dover sole, sauteed sort of piccata-style, fresh broccoli with hollandaise--I used to make great hollandaise and am puzzled about why it curdles now--and a bowl of fresh raspberries. My mood is now much better. I've finished next week's reading assignment for my class and am making real progress on the manuscript I brought home. So tomorrow I can go to visit the Frisco Alters with a clear conscience--and take one of those junk mysteries I like. Jordan, Jacob and I will go over in the early afternoon and come back about the same time Sunday. I'm looking forward to sitting on the newly redone patio in the newly redone backyard--hope the weather cooperates.

No comments: