Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Winter Weather

Tonight I am reminded of that song with the lrics, "For the weather outside is frightful." We in the Metroplex are locked into dreaded anticipation--how bad will it really be? Tonight it's cold and wet but predictions are for frozen bridges and overpasses and freezing rain tomorrow. Makes me most uncertain about getting about--I am less concerned about driving (after all I grew up in the Midwest) than I am about walking. But the whole thing, like extreme heat in the summer, makes me feel trapped. The major thing I don't like about Texas--most of the time the weather is okay, but the extremes are really . . . well, inconvenient.
Thankgiving seems long behind us. We had a joyous time with all my children and grandchildren here. Jordan hosted the dinner at her house and did so with great efficiency--we arrived about 2 p.m. and stayed until 8 or later--a long celebration, but all good. A roasted turkey (which I prefer) and a fried one. Lots of good side dishes, including my pumpkin tiramisu which I thought was outstanding--not sure how many others ate it.
The next day we went to my brother's ranch for a reunion with his kids and his new grandchild and his wife's family, of whom we're very fond. To break the turkey monotony, Cindy served a marvelous beef tenderloin, and I took potato casseroles. The kids played in the barn and on the front loader (under supervision) and rode in the "mule" around the ranch. They had a high old time. In the car going home, we didn't even make it to the highway before seven-year-old Maddie was asleep on my shoulder. The next day she complimented me on the comfort of my shoulder!
And Saturday, we had Alter Alternative Christmas, with all the excitement that goes with nine adults and four kids (Ford and Jacob were too young to understand) opening gifts. All in all, it was great family togetherness. Having a group that big and diverse together is not without its stresses and strains--you can't have six kids together without some snotty noses, but we managed to come out of it with a sense of how much we love each other. And that's a blessing. Megan said she liked having alternative Christmas so early because you necessarily had half your shopping done by Thanksgiving, but I don't think I'd want to do it that early ever year. Then again, Jordan and I are planners--Meg claims she missed that gene.
So now it's on to planning my Tree Trimming party (no tree--I'm going to Jamie's family in Frisco). My gifts for friends are all wrapped and ready to go.
I'm still working on the mystery--need a good long winter's nap tonight to ponder where it's going next. Meantime I'll sit here and wonder if I'm going anywhere tomorrow or not. TCU Press has a big event Friday afternoon--but the weather is supposed to be in the mid-40s, so I suppose it will be all right. I felt more comfortable with winter when I lived up north and my balance on ice was better. But then I remember, in Missouri, how the roads rutted but the ruts didn't fit my VW and I bounced along on the ridges. I think I dislike the heat of Texas summer, but I dislike the occasonal winter more. Or maybe that's just tonight.

No comments: