Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Grandchildren

Grandchildren change so fast, especially infants. When I went to Austin, I hadn't really connected with Jacob. He tended to cry when I picked him up, and so I was content to love him from a distance, kiss him when he was in his car seat, talk to him so he'd know my voice. But yesterday and today, Jacob, now four months plus, has come to see me in the afternoon. Today we went for a long walk (and fast--his mother about wore me out!). And at the house, Jordan tried to feed Jacob--but all he wanted to do was turn and look at me. And when I'd talk nonsense to him, his face crinkled into a huge grin. Sometimes he stiffens his little body and waves his feet and hands with excitement. It's like he has suddenly discovered that I'm fun and to be trusted. I love it! I can sing to him (in my notably offkey voice), chatter, peck kisses at his nose, and all the while he's as happy as can be. When he sits in my lap, he twists around to look at me. And when he leans back until we're both upside down, he thinks that's the funniest thing ever. I said tentatively to Jordan that his disposition had changed suddenly, and she agreed. So now I wonder what tiny Ford will be like when I see him again in three weeks.
This Friday night I'll have Colin and Morgan (15 mos.), on their way to Houston. They'll live with Lisa's parents while Lisa stays behind to finish the school semester and sell the house. I worry about her being alone, but I know she's tired and maybe she'll get the rest she needs. Friday night for supper Jamie and family will join us as will Christian and Jacob--and Jordan briefly. I am so blessed that my family gets together so often and so happily.
Tonight I had dinner with my neighbor Sue, who shares my rather firm political views. We watched the election results with suspense and measured joy. Finally we decided we'll have to wait until tomorrow to know how much to rejoice. Having been disappointed so many times in recent years, I'm leery of getting my hopes up.
As the holidays approach, I think of my various roles in life--writer, press director, mother, grandmother, a woman blessed with friends--and I think the personal relationships begin to dominate. It's the season to be close to those you love.
Oh, yes, my Christmas presents are wwrapped--we'll have Alter Christmas at Thanksgiving--and I'm planning my annual Chirstmas party, thinking about getting Christmas cards done. I'm halfway to Christmas and it's only early November. And Thanksgiving does loom--Jordan will host at her house, but she doesn't do turkeys. I do. Once a mother, always a mother. And ain't it great!

No comments: