Thursday, November 09, 2006

What direction is this blog going?

When I started this blog, I meant to write about three things--writing, cooking, and grandmothering, in that order. It hasn't exactly worked out that way--I've written a whole lot about grandmothering but maybe that's because my children are reproducing like rabbits, to my great joy. I've written very little about cooking, which makes me think I need to entertain and start experimenting with some of the many new recipes I've clipped. I'm always a happier person when I cook, so there's a hint for me.
I've written some but not a lot about writing--those who follow the blog may know that I'm now into chapter ten of the mystery, but it comes in fits and spurts. I had some middle-of-the-night great inspriation in Austin, as I reported, and then on the train coming home I had lots of ideas which I scribbled down--including the fact that a skeleton isn't enough and someone has to be killed, so now I've killed off one of the least likeable characters But those moments of inspiration don't come too often--and I'm sort of stalled right now. Sometimes when I'm stalled, I take refuge in small writing projects--my column for the Dallas Morning News, a piece on how Texas impacts me as a writer (I think I'm stalled there too). I don't know that this is writer's block, though it could be. I rather think it's maybe too much else going on, especially in anticipation of the holidays. But I find myself reading a Deborah Crombie mystery in the evenings rather than writing, and I'm sure that's not how "real" writers discipline themselves.
I also vowed that this blog would not be about politics but I can't help expressing my great relief over the outcome of Tuesday's elections. And my great joy at Donald Rumsfeld's resignation, though the President would have done a lot of Republicans a huge favor to have done that a month ago. I get a lot of middle-of-the-road to outright left-leaning blogs, but one yesterday said something important: that the real winner in the election was the environment. I hope it's true. I hope the election was a victory for the environment, for human rights (including gays and suspected terrorists who are incarcerated without counsel or trial), for the very young and the very elderly in our society, for the have-nots and not the have-a-lots, and, most of all, a victory for peace. I hope it was a victory for all of us, but now we have to see what can be done in two years. There's a Gordian knot that will not be as easily untied as it was tangled.

No comments: