Monday, November 10, 2014

As the world turns


A week ago tomorrow, those of us who vote progressive were in despair, foreseeing the end of civilization, the end of life as we know it, possibly the end of the environment. A week later this old world seems to spin on in its inevitable cycle. Yes, there have been blusters and threats--Obama better cooperate or else, 100,000 taken off Medicare rolls, etc. The conservatives aren't even in power yet, but they're acting like it, even taking claim for economic gains of the past two years. I'm not sure how much of their bluster could be accomplished--Obama has veto power, and the conservatives don't have enough Senate votes to over-ride a veto; didn't we all pay into Medicare? I know they can't take social security, though it's on the list, because it's independent of government money and actually the government is in debt to social security. So I suspect we can look forward to continued gridlock, only this time Harry Reid won't be the bad guy--McConnell will. And Boehner will continue to be the cry-baby who can't keep his party in line. My point is, life goes on, and the world keeps spinning.
And life seems very normal today. Jacob was out of school, so we spent the day unpacking Christmas decorations--I know, it's early, but don't question please--and learning the states of the Midwest, their locations, abbreviations, and capitals (harder than you think). Nice lunch with Melinda where she and Jacob totally left me out of the conversation because she can talk football with him, and I can't. I wish he'd apply the intelligence he does to football players and statistics to the states of the Midwest.
Tonight Sue, my adopted Canadian daughter, came for a glass of wine, and we had a happy catch-up time. And then I got to work. I'm back on my thousand words a day kick--don't know how long it will last but it's only been five days, so I can't gloat yet. Still, it's a good feeling.
So yes, this old world will keep turning. We may not like it, but it's not the end of life.

No comments: