Friday, April 29, 2011

Hats on and a day off

It was a flawlessly beautiful wedding--a fairy tale come true. Fascinated as I was by the bride and groom, I couldn't help studying the hats. So much has been said about them already that any comments I might have are redundant. But I can't decide between those big hats--picture hats, I guess--worn on the side of the head and those bits of feathers and geegaws perched on top of the head. I worry about those side-of-the-head affairs--what keeps them on the head, especially on a windy day like it apparently was in London today. But I think I'd choose one of those, though I'm not a hat wearer. I was a big disappointment to my late father-in-law, who was a hat maker by trade.
I woke up about 3:30 and thought I'd check what was happening. Guests were arriving at Westminster Abbey, milling about in what seemed confusion. For a bit, the hats kept me watching--one woman had something shaped like a gondola covered with royal blue sateen or silk on top of her head. Others had those wide hats, which I thought might block the view of those behind them. Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie apparently got the "Bad Hat Day" award--you can see them on the internet. But after a few minutes of ogling hats, I went back to bed. My inner alarm clock woke me again at 5:00 and I turned the TV on just in time to watch Kate arrive at the church and the wedding ceremony.
Then back to bed. Once again my timing was impeccable--I woke at 7:15, in time to see the royal couple come out on the balcony for the traditional kiss. I've heard some comments that it was an awkward kiss--give them a break! There were one million people in front of them, the Queen on the porch along with both their families, and two billion people watching on TV. Did we expect passion? I thought it was a gentle kiss, familiar, showing that they are really fond of each other.
Now I'm watching an all-evening replay of the festivities. After all, a royal wedding doesn't happen that often!
Having gotten off to such up-again, down-again start to the day, I decided to take a day off and be lazy. I went back to bed, slept an hour-and-a-half and got up filled with energy. Did laundry, potted herbs, did some  yoga, and worked at my desk. It was a beautiful morning to be working on the porch with the herbs, and I'm glad to have them in their pots. I repotted a cactus, a traumatic process for me and the cactus.
God bless the royals! They've given all of us a break from the troubles that surround use--economic woes, tornado loss of life and damage, wars abroad. It's great to have a bit of ritual to remind us of majesty.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi, Judy--I'm Celia Yeary. A couple of years or so ago, I sent you three chapters of Wish for the Moon, a coming-of-age novel about a young woman in 1901 N. Texas. I found a publisher for it, and it will be released May 4.

But I'm writing for another reason. I'm co-owner of a group blog (13) we call Sweethearts of the West, and each of us posts something "western-y" on the even days of each month. On the 10th and the 20th we have guests to do the same.
Dac Crossley, a prof from Georgia University, retired, grew up in S.Texas, was our first guest. He emailed me today and said in cleaning out his bookshelves, he ran across a book titled Cherokee Girl by Judy Alter. He asked--"do you know her? I think she would be a good "Sweetheart" guest."

So, here I am, from Texas, to Georgia, back to Texas, asking if you'd be our guest sometime in the summer. (I think we're booked through May at least, maybe June.)
Find our blog and see what we do...I'm so thrilled to find you once again.
Celia Yeary-Romance...and a little bit 'o Texas
http://www.celiayeary.blogspot.com
http://www.celiayeary.com
http://sweetheartsofthewest.blogspot.com

I hope you can find me through one of the above links...or email me:
celiayeary@yahoo.com