Monday, December 07, 2009

Thoughts on rewriting

As regular readers of this blog know, I've been putting off going back to my second mystery for some times now--yeah, even months. The manuscript sat there like an accusing stack of papers, saying "Look at me." But I am a master at putting things between me and something I dread doing. Saturday I decided instead of reading someone else's mystery, my time--and I had a lot of it that day--was better spent reading my own novel. So I dug in. And you know what? It wasn't half as bad as I thought it would be. I think the thing that kept me from it was a deep, hidden conviction that it was beyond rescue, so bad, with so many holes in the plot that you could drive a truck through, that I really should throw it away.
Well, that wasn't true. Yes, I saw holes in the plot, places where people's motivation didn't hold up, places where coincidence played too big a part. But it wasn't beyond hope. I made editorial notes like crazy all weekend and am ready to dig in and edit--except that this is a busy week, filled with all kinds of other things from health appointments to lunch to staff meetings, plus cooking for my Christmas party.
But what I decided is that the first time through on a novel, you just write, whatever comes into your head, and a lot of it doesn't make sense. But when you go back, it makes more sense than you thought, and an adjustment here and there, a beefing up of this person's motive and that person's story, makes it much better. Even after I make all these editorial changes, I'm not done, and I know it. But I've taken a gigantic step, and I'm really happy about it. And I think the novel iis good.
When I write articles, I always know that the first draft sounds like an idiot wrote it, but I can fix it. Why didn't I believe that about novels?
So cold and wet in Texas today. I rushed off to a doctor's appt. this morning, then at lunchtime my friend Carol came with cat carrier to help me take Wywy to the vet for a checkup (expensive!), and we met a friend of hers at the Tokyo Cafe for lunch--great sashimi and great company. Home for a nap, shower, bike ride (indoor of course) and to pick up one indignant cat. Then dinner with Carol and Kathie--our early Christmas dinner and gift exchange. Lots of fun. Kathie is rushing off to Georgia Friday to greet her first grandchild, due to be delivered tomorrow. She's as excited as can be, and I'm happy for her.
'Tis the season for great joy--even in sloppy, cold, wet, Texas weather.

No comments: