Tuesday, August 17, 2021

When are you going to quit writing?

 

One of my often overlooked books 
and the only collection of short stories I have
Available on Kindle for ninety-nine cents.

The question startled me. It came from my son’s friend, a man in his early fifties who retired two years ago. After a long minute, I replied, “I don’t think much about that.” I suppose turnabout is fair play because I had asked him what he was doing these days. My thought, which probably showed, was that fifty is far too young to bow out of the working world. His response was, “If I was working, I couldn’t do what I’m doing.” I didn’t pursue it, but I’ve thought a lot since about his question. When am I going to quite writing?

I’ve been writing since I was about eight and wrote my first short stories on a small pad of lined paper. In high school, I submitted a short story to Seventeen, but it came back so rapidly that, as the late Texas author Elmer Kelton would have said, “it must have had a rubber band on it.” When I was out of graduate school and home with babies, my song was, “I’d write if I knew what to write.” I did some free-lance pieces and even scored one in McCall’s about adoption. My first novel was published as young-adult fiction in 1978 and for too many years I was pigeon-holed as a y/a author.

In 2010 I retired as director of TCU Press. Over my working years I had produced a fairly respectable body of work in terms of quantity if not quality. I wrote fiction and nonfiction for adults and young adults, book reviews, a couple of columns with short runs, books for school libraries, short stories. I wrote whatever would pay. I didn’t really retire eleven years ago—I just sort of switched focus and became a full-time author.

It didn’t take long to establish a routine that still shapes my days—I work at my desk from about eight until around two. Then it’s nap time and my real working day is pretty much over. In the late afternoon, I play on social media and frequently cook dinner for my family. After dinner, I may read, write a blog, or just explore on the computer. It’s a daily routine that makes me happy.

I write because I cannot not write. Writing, they tell us, is a business, and we must treat it as such. But it is to me more than a job. It’s a way of life. It’s not only what I do but who I am. No, I never made the bestseller lists and truth be told all I earned was “walking around money,” but I have people who write me that they enjoyed my books, countless notes from schoolchildren, enough feedback to make me feel that I am contributing something to the world (that’s something I worry about a lot). Writing gives me purpose in life (raising four kids definitely did that too! I have always said my tombstone should read that I was a mother, an author, and a publisher—in that order.).

I have enough projects on my desk and in my mind to keep me busy for two or three years. Whenever I get near the point of wondering, “What shall I write next,” I revert to worrying about a memoir. I have lots of stories to tell, but sometimes I think I’m overwhelmed by the idea of organizing them. There are days when I think I’ll cherry pick from blogs I’ve done over the past fifteen years and compile them into a memoir. But then I’d have to choose a theme—personal life and children, writing, cooking?

I suppose the day will come when the words I put on paper don’t make sense—or at least don’t carry as much impact as I hope they do now. And I may well be too tired to sit at a desk for six hours. I already notice that I am much less driven than I was ten years ago, and I think not writing will come as a slow progression rather than a sudden stop on a pre-announced day. But I don’t spend much time thinking about it. I’ve got writing to do.

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good blog, Judy. I liked the part about how you can't not write. So true.
Thank you, Mary
M. E. Bakos

judyalter said...

Thanks, Mary. I'm sure you and I share that "cannot not write" with a lot of other writers. It's nice to know that some people understand. I sometimes think my family is puzzled.

Linda C. Wisniewski said...

Love this! "When are you going to stop" as if it's just a job you do to pay the bills. Hah!
Thanks for reminding me that I can't not write, either.

susanalbert said...

Lovely, Judy--so well said. As an older writer myself, it's very difficult to imagine a time when I won't be able to say "I can't not write." It's how I think, what I feel, the way I make sense of the world. What would I do if I didn't do THIS? Thanks for putting this out there for the rest of us to chew on.

judyalter said...

Thanks, Susan. I thought of you as I wrote it.

judyalter said...

Thanks, Linda. I think there are a lot of us in that boat. It's helpful to remember on the days we run into a temporary roadblock or get a rejection or just aren't happy with the way writing is going.

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Youre awesome and im glad you cant not write. Keep on!

judyalter said...

Thanks, Vicki, and back at you! You seem pretty addicted to it too!

Linda Lovely said...

Good post. I can't imagine not writing. It's FUN, therapeutic (especially if you're killing off people who deserve it), and you get to hang out with other cool people--writers!

judyalter said...

I so agree, Linda. One of the benefits of writing, both mysteries and my western writing, is the people I've met over the years. For a while I had the best of both world--I new authors as their publisher and, wearing my other hat, I was an author. Love some of my Guppy sisters and misters even though I've never been able to travel to a con to meet them.

Kaye George said...

I totally agree, and I'm way past retirement age, too. What would we have done during the pandemic if we didn't have this? What would we be doing now without it? And the community we're connected to with mystery writing--if there is a better group of people somewhere, I'd like to know about them. Mystery writers and fans are the best.

judyalter said...

Kaye, all I can say to your comment is "Amen." I have a real fear these days of becoming a recluse, and I blame it on pandemic. When others chafed to be out and about, I was quite content with my computer, my dog, my resident family (oops, maybe they should come before the dog--then again....), and my internet friends like you. These days getting gussied up to go out is a chore.

Kassandra Lamb said...

I get that, Judy. I was so anxious to get out and about again. Now, when I have to go out, I think, "Oh man, do I have to put on makeup and do my hair?"

Stephanie Raffelock said...

Sometimes the idea of a new manuscript overwhelms me for a minute. I think about how much time I'd have for other things if I didn't write -- but what? Like you I cannot not write. I've spent so many years creating a writing life, one slow step at a time, and now it takes up most of the space in my head, my heart and my office. And that's just the best. I applaud you for the simple resolve of "I cannot not write." Me either. Write on . . .

Jeanne Guy said...

Oh, Judy. That whole paragraph that includes "I can't not write" just rang so true for me! Regardless of age or status, we who are writers understand that. And I love the ending because it's about your life and who you are as a writer, not about writing because it's a job. Kudos.

judyalter said...

Special thanks, Jeanne, on this day when we celebrate you as a writer. I look forward to many more books from you now that you've broken the ice, as it were.

judyalter said...

Stephanie, what an eloquent way to put it: Writing takes up the "whole space in my head, my heart, and my office"--lovely mix of the daily reality with the spiritual aspect of writing. Thank you.

Lynn said...

Heartfelt writing on an important subject. If I weren't in the writing world ... :::sheesh::: I'm not a gardener, not domestic, I love reading but my eyes tire quickly, and I don't really want to be at the beck and call of those engaged in their own purposeful pursuits. So, "Negativity Gremlins, why don't you go play on I-80 for awhile. I don't need your 'help' right now."

www.writeradvice.com

judyalter said...

Thanks, Lynn. You make me laugh out loud. I'm not a gardener nor a domestic (except for cooking) and I love the way you made your point. If I meet any negativity gremlins, I'll certainly send them to I-30 (our local highway) to play.

Pat Bean said...

I feel blessed every day because I'm a writer, and that is something I can do all my life. You say I write because I can't write. What I've said to others is to not write would be like not breathing. I loved your blog Judy. You inspire me

judyalter said...

Thanks, Pat. I love your comparison of writing to breathing. They're right (no pun intended) there on the list of what keeps us alive--and young!

Claire Naden said...

Great post and very timely for I am in the same boat as you. You are a true inspiration.

judyalter said...

Thanks, Claire. I sure hope it's not a leaky boat, for both our sake's.

DONNARAE MENARD said...

So much of what you said is close my own truth, it's scary. I'd say, if it makes you happy, do it.

judyalter said...

Donnarae, I think it's true for a lot of us. Yes, absolutely, if writing was always a drudge I'd quit it in a flash. Of course there are days it is drudgery, but not most days--and there's always light at the end of the tunnel.

Frances said...

BRAVO, JUDY!

judyalter said...

Thanks, Frances.

Susan said...

Great column, Judy. I must say thoughts about this question have not been far from my mind either. I'll keep your reply in mind.

judyalter said...

Thanks, Susan. In truth, it's something I don't want to think about. I look at friends my age who are not writers and wonder, "What do they do all day?" Of course, I have a few years on you.