Friday, August 13, 2021

Is this our future?

 

I had a guest for happy hour tonight, a longtime friend of my oldest son. I’ve known him since they were in high school together and, later, tended bar at several restaurants. Back then, I prayed they would find themselves something out of food service, and eventually both did. I’m fond of this man, and when I found out he was in town—actually because left a gift of wine on my porch—I said he couldn’t be in Fort Worth without coming to see me. We settled on five o’clock tonight.

But then he texted, with great honesty, “I am unvaccinated.” I replied we would visit on the patio, socially distanced and masked. He asked if he could stand on the sidewalk and not wear a mask, but I said no. He’d have to stand so far away that I couldn’t hear what he was saying. I am beyond grateful that he cared enough to put on a mask to see me (he apparently never wears one). When he arrived, he reached out and said, “Can I hug you?” and I said, “No. No hugs.” So we sat and visited for almost two hours.

I had jokingly warned him that he would get my mask lecture, and at first, he said he’d submit. But then in a late message, he said, “I’m not looking forward to that lecture.” We visited for maybe twenty minutes until the subject came up, and I asked why he wasn’t vaccinated. He laughed and said, “Boy, you wait twenty minutes, and then boom! You’re right on it.”

Essentially his opinion is that it’s a virus and it’s going to be around forever, and it would do no good for him to vaccinate or mask. The virus he said will continue to mutate and we’ll never beat it. “Now they’re talking about a third shot. And then it will be the fourth. When will it end?”  He repeated what I consider the now a shop-worn line, “We all have to make a decision that’s best for us.” My plea that we vaccinate and mask for others, fell on deaf ears. So did my reminder that the virus mutates in victims, so the more unvaccinated people who get sick, the more opportunities for mutation.

He’s not a Trumper, although he is by no means the liberal that I am. But the vaccination issue for him wasn’t even political. It was just kind of a “it is what it is.” He’s angry about covid because his two sons lost a year and a half of schooling, and he believes that everything that comes along, from evictions to staffing shortage to what-have-you, gets blamed on covid, as though it’s an easy peg to hang all your troubles on. And he thinks the government is too much in our live--in Texas I would agree with him.

I admit I wimped out. I was prepared to go into full campaign mode, convince him, so that by the time he left he’d be headed for the nearest clinic to get vaccinated. It didn’t happen. No way. We had pleasant discussions about a lot of things, some reminiscences, nice talk. We agree about abortion (though he is a good Catholic), and we agree (I think) about Governor Abbott, Daniel Patrick, transgender students, and a lot of other hot-button issues. When we disagreed, it was amicable. The one topic I didn’t bring up was the border wall. He was born in Columbia and in his home, they still speak Spanish, so the Border Patrol was in many ways a logical career choice for him. I didn’t ask about it, didn’t ask what he thinks of the wall, though I wanted to.

I decided friendship and amicable relationships were more important, and in this instance, it was a good decision. But I see it as an omen for the future as we head into a second surge of covid. Are we going to choose our friends—and moderate our discussions—based on what others believe, especially when it goes counter to science or, in some cases, what I consider morality? It’s a hard call. If he had defended Abbott, would I have jumped into the fray? I have distanced myself from the very few friends who were/are ardent trump supporters. But is this dilemma, like his prediction for the virus, always going to be with us? I want peace and friendships, but on the other hand, I feel so desperate to have people follow the science and protect themselves to protect the rest of us. It’s a dilemma.

Your thoughts?

12 comments:

Dr. Rodenberger said...

Yesterday I cancelled my 95th birthday party because many of our family members are getting Covid. And today we cancelled going to the Opera house for an event we have paid for. We may have to cancel some of our church activities tomorrow. But today I hear thunder and will rejoice if we get some rain!

judyalter said...

Sorry about your family members, Charles. Covid seems to be all around us. Do take care and stay safe. As for rain, we just got a little bit--along with lots of dark and thunder. Maybe more to come.

Cassy Burleson said...

Excellent blog. Have the same issue with my beloved daughter and son-in-law. You have my empathy.

judyalter said...

Thanks, Cassy. It can be a hard time for families. What I didn't say in the blog and try not to talk about is that my only brother is a trumper. When we're together there's a huge elephant in the room. I hope you and your kids can remain close through all this maelstrom. (I've been waiting all morning to use that word!)

Polly Iyer said...

I tried to leave this comment on my phone, but it doesn't like me. I'm so sorry about this, Judy. We always hope that the people we love think like we do. I hope his children don't get sick because of his misplaced opinion. Glad to say I don't have this problem in my family. I don't know what I would do.

judyalter said...

You're right, Polly. It's easier to be angry at people we don't care about. My kids are also all on the right side of things--well, most things:-) I worry about the resident high school grandkid who is vaccinated but still exposed daily--he could bring it home to his dad (immune compromised) or me (very aged!)

BodieP said...

This is an excellent question. Are we going to be choosing our friends on what they believe? To some degree that's already happening for me, though it's less a matter of what my "friends" believe and more a matter of what they insist I believe. I don't proselytize when it comes to masks, but I DO explain briefly and nicely, why I DO mask (both because of my own health issues, and to avoid the possibility of spreading disease to those with whom I come in contact). I DO moderate my behavior based on my own and others' vaccination records. What seems to be happening is that those who can't stomach my views (for myself, I might add) seem to be self-selecting to distance themselves. And that has to be okay with me. I've always found people who impose their views on others without a sound reason for doing so distasteful. I make my decisions for me. I defend them for me. I base those decisions on science. I wish others did the same, but when they don't, I still act to keep myself and those I love safe.

judyalter said...

Works to your advantage that the non-maskers are self-selecting to distance themselves. Obviously from my post I do mask and try to explain to others why. As you said, it's based on science. But that "I make my decisions for myself" is a two-way street, and it's also being used by self-centered individuals who apparently don't care if they infect someone else. It's beyond me to understand that attitude.

BodieP said...

I agree about it being a two-way street. I guess I'm just trying to be pragmatic--it's not in my power to persuade people who have chosen not to mask for selfish reasons that they should be responsible. It's not a logic-based decision, so there's no persuading them with logic. I don't agree with their decisions, but I try to remember that it's not my choice to make--I can only act for myself. And of course I do explain the reasoning behind my choices (and when I teach I have been empowered to insist that all students come to class masked on pain of getting kicked out and not allowed to return). I make no apologies for that, and explain simply that this is how we care for each other. Masking and distancing works, and my classroom is not a democracy.

judyalter said...

I wish Texas were more of a democracy. We have a despot who will not let schools mandate masking. There is an astounding outbreak in Tampa, FL where they have Dr. Death DeSantis. I don't understand their decisions and could rant all day about how wrong it is.

BodieP said...

I agree, Judy--I'm fortunate to live in a state where, though we are divided, science-friendly minds have so far prevailed. Governor Abbot provides a perfect example of the kind of person who chooses to impose his will on others--even at risk of their lives. To refuse to allow schools to act to protect students should expose him to legal jeopardy.

judyalter said...

I hope Abbott is in legal jeopardy. Meanwhile, someone has exposed him to Covid, and he's tested positive. A nice bit of karma, except he's getting the monoclonal therapy trump got and that is not available to us ordinary citizens.