Friday, January 22, 2021

The wisdom of dogs


Sophie and her dog sitter.

When I went to the hospital, I worried about Sophie being alone and lonely in the cottage, but I need not have fretted. When Jamie or Megan were not with me, they were in the cottage, working remotely, sleeping, or playing with Sophie. She got more attention than she usually does when I’m here with her. When they decided it was time to head for their homes, Jacob announced he would “dog ////sit” Soph.

He spent the nights with her—I think he liked my sleep numbers bed—and did his remote schoolwork at my desk during the day. I was pleased that he was comfortable enough in my space to want to do that. Turns out he was more than comfortable. When I came home, he announced he would have to boot me out of my desk. He likes sitting and looking out the window while he works, though today the cold, damp air comes through these frail old glass panes and makes my window on the world too cold for comfort. I have spent much of the day curled in my bed for warmth, but I figure that’s okay. I’m gathering my strength.

The kids kept assuring me Sophie was content but missed me, went around looking for me. Still, I didn’t quite get butt-wriggling, jumping-around happiness when she saw me. She was cautious, approaching slowly, as though uncertain who I was. I wondered if with a dog’s strong sense of smell she picked up the hospital odor about me, even though I’d completely changed clothes. Then too maybe she thought I’d deserted her, and it took her a bit of time to forgive me.

Now, twenty-four hours later, she comes up to put her head on my knee and ask for love. She has been good and quiet all day, letting me mostly rest. Right now it is dull but not rainy, and she is happily standing outside at the back door of the main house, convinced apparently that something more interesting is going on inside than in the cottage. She’s always anxious to get into the big house, but if I’m in there and ask, “Do you want to go home?” she makes a beeline for the cottage.

Dogs are often smarter than people. I think Sophie is telling me it will take a day or two to get back into our routine, and I shouldn’t rush it. I’m listening. And, meantime, I’m grateful to Jacob for taking good care of her. In an hour or so, we’ll all gather for supper in the cottage, and she will once again make herself the center of attention by begging for her food and treats, wanting to go in and then out, going from person to person for love. It’s a dog’s life, and she’s got it whipped. I’m learning from her.

No comments: