Sunday, June 10, 2018

Whoosh! What a weekend


Even being on the fringes of the wedding party, it was quite a weekend, what with the happy hour Friday night, the ceremony and dinner Saturday night, and tonight the bride’s parents for dinner. I loved every minute of it.

Friday and Saturday nights I met and talked with so many interesting people. I’m in awe at the wide range of Sue and Teddy’s friends and the warm wonder of their families. I think by Saturday night I had pretty much figured out who was who, including the man who rode his motorcycle here from British Columbia to be part of the wedding. But the food was good, the company excellent, and it was all lovely. When I said classy, Sue said, “That’s what we were going for.” She got it in spades.

Today our highlight was that Jacob came home from five days in D.C. as the guest of his buddy, Adam Veasy, and Adam’s parents, Mark and Tonya. He talked to me about it for five minutes and then he was off to a Christian music concert, but he said the best part was wandering around and seeing the city. I’m sure, thanks to Congressman Veasy, he got an insider’s view of things. He sent a few pictures, but they haven’t filtered down to me so far. I am glad to have him back in Texas, even if he’s so busy I rarely see him. But I’m so grateful he had the experience of our capitol.

I spent the day cooking and fiddling. Made a chicken casserole, decided it wasn’t big enough, and added more chicken and sauce. Good thing because there was very little left. It's a chicken/mushroom/avocado casserole in a sauce of mayonnaise, white wine, and sour cream.  I wasn’t really pleased with it—it wasn’t as creamy as I remembered from previous times, although our guests were complimentary. Now if I were really an experimental cook, I’d get some cream cheese in these to strengthen what is supposed to be a rich, creamy sauce.

Cathy and Bob Lyon, Sue’s parents, are from Ottawa, Ontario, and since the newlyweds were presumably hibernating somewhere, we asked the parents to dinner. They are, by now, old friends. I remember when Sue moved in next door, at least twelve years ago. I saw Bob in the driveway and asked if he was my new neighbor. He replied that he was my new neighbor’s father. We’ve been friends every since, and it was fun to rehash the wedding with them tonight. Friends Subie and Phil Green also joined us for dinner, and they added immensely to lively conversation, which ranged from oil pipelines to ticks.

So tomorrow it’s back to work, and I have a lot on my desk, plus taking my car for its final repair. The world goes on, but it’s nice to have had a whirlwind in the middle of our dailyness. Fun to sit here tonight, with the patio door open, and hear the fireworks from the Concerts in the Park. 

No comments: