Thursday, May 08, 2008

Life is Good


I'm almost afraid to say it, but I'm on a roll. This morning I gathered my courage and called the publisher who is supposed to do my cookbook. They'd had a change in personnel and a couple of months ago when I inquired I was asked to please let them sort things out. So today I half expected to hear they couldn't publish it--they don't have any new books for the fall season. But the director apologized for not getting back to me, asked if Iliked the cover, the illustrations, etc., and by afternoon I had an email detailing who was to edit, who was to supervise production, what I was to do. The ball is rolling.

And then, just before I left for lunch, we got a shipment of what happens to be my newest book but is also the first of our Texas Small Books that I'm so excited about. It looks wonderful! Feels good in the hand, is just a beautiful book. Betty and I went to dinner tonight, and when I showed her she said, "That's the most beautiful book I've ever seen!" She said she wants to buy several, and when I took lunch to Jeannie and Jim, she said they were perfect gifts for her daughters. I have a feeling these will be good. There are 505 backorders for Extraordinary Texas Women, which is really good for us.

I've been really afraid to talk about this, but with so much good happening, why not? When I turned on my computer yesterday morning, there was an email from an agent I queried. He said he'd read the entire manuscript of my mystery, and I emailed it promptly. Of course, today he wrote and said it sounded familiar and had I queried him before. I assured him I hadn't. Cross your fingers, please, that it doesn't read just like someone else's book.

And, I made an appointment with a designer who will come to the office to discuss web pages--we need to revamp our press webpage and add some sites, and I want my own web page to promote the mystery that isn't published yet but in which I have growing faith (hope I don't crash and burn tomorrow!). All this activity about the mystery is really generated by my having joined Sisters in Crime and signed up for two blogs or discussion groups or whatever. There's never an "aha!" moment but I've picked up lots of tidbits here and there, the names of agents, etc. I'm sort of a hesitant part of a community--not contributing often yet, but listening and learning.

And the final bit of the new me is that I had my first yoga lesson. Elizabeth, who worked in our office for three years as a non-traditional student at TCU, now gives private lessons in your home. She has remained a friend long after she was out of school--maybe ten years?--so I feel very comfortable with her, and she moved me into yoga slowly and with much encouragement. We had a hour-long session in which I did some things I told her I positively couldn't do. I've never been flexible, so I thought she would say I was beyond hope, but she said, "You're not a pretzel, but you're pretty flexible," and she praises me for taking good care of myself, etc. The boost in ego probably did as much for me as the yoga, but I did find it relaxing and tried a few poses myself tonight. Another lesson Saturday. I think it's like joining Sisters in Crime--no "aha!" moment but one day I'll discover I feel different--and better.

Yeah, life is good.

No comments: