Thursday, June 28, 2007

Rain and writing

As the national news has been saying and everyone around here already knows, we've gotten more rain than we could ever have hoped for--and maybe now, after years of wishing for rain, we're wishing it would stop--or at least slow down a bit. Melinda in my office worried about her sister who refused to evacuate when ordered to and finally was forced to evacuate, taking with her seven dogs! I worried about my brother when someone said Tolar had flooded, but I talked to him and all was well except that there was water running in places there usually wasn't on his ranch. Side streets in Fort Worth were flooded, and I remembered the time our office was evacauted--with firemen helping employees out (fortunately I was in Austin, but I understand it was a daunting sight to see a dumpster floating down the street).
Tonight it was pleasant, with a breeze, and I took a book to the porch. The sky was gray, with storm clouds, but nothing terribly ominous. Then I heard a funny swishing noise, looked up, and it was raining lightly. Within minutes it was pouring--but no lightning or thunder. It only lasted five or ten minutes, and then the sky began to turn blue--something only briefly seen all day.
I worked myself out of my doldrums, though I still don't have a clue what to do about my mystery. Emailed a new agent but have no answer after two days--maybe he's on vacation (a hopeful thought). Meantime, I'm revising--actually beefing up--inspired by a Susan Wittig Albert novel I'm reading. Actually when I reread I find mine isn't as "surface" as I thought it was. But still I can add depth in some places. And I still like it, which is a good sign to me. I'm also beginning to think about other topics--even a scholarly book on women's writing, which would bringme no money, but might be fun. And I did interview Rick Riordan, a San Antonio writer who has a successful mystery series but now suddenly has a blockbuster children's series--and I got a column out of that.
I'm about to audit an online English course from TCU, a senior-level course on U. S. Women's Writing which, I think, has a medical slant. I'm interested both in the content and how an online course is taught. Brandon pointed out to me that reading a book is really different when it's a text--and it that spirit I'll tackle Henry James and some other heavies, like Charlotte Perkins Gilman. I'm sort of excied about this.
It's late, and I want to read a bit before I go to sleep. More storms are predicted for tonight.

No comments: