Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Book signings

It happens to all authors, but at least it's better when it's a shared experience. Tonight I was one of seven contributors to the TCU Press collaborative novel, Noah's Ride, who showed up at a suburban library for a program. We did our dog-and-pony show for four people, one of whom was the library director, another the city manager, and a third the husband of one of the contributors. That left one interested party with no stake in the show! But the seven of us had a good time talking about the novel and the process of creating our chapters--it was sort of like a reunion. In fact, we went on too long--with these poor four people captive--and the director of the library finally stood up. I think it was because we were having fun, and we each kept thinking of comments we wanted to add. Weren't smart enough to give the poor four a chance to speak.
I just discovered on my calendar that tomorrow at noon I'm to present a program on "Beach Read Books from TCU Press" (an oxymoron to beginw ith) for the Pinkbag Series (book-oriented brown bag lunches for women employees at TCU)--only I've seen not one bit of publicity on it and don't even know where it is. If I don't know, how will anyone else find it? I emailed one of the major organizers tonight and said I really didn't want to repeat the "no audience" experience twice in two days.
Fortunately, my ego isn't on the line with either event.

No comments: