Thursday, April 26, 2007

Weather alerts and non-events

A noneventful week, unless you count the storms we had last Tuesday. The weather alerts were dire all day long, and about mid-afternoon there was word of a "rotation" headed toward the southern suburbs--exactly where a group of us were supposed to go that night. One author called me, and I could tell from his tone that he was not going to the presentation, no matter what. So I called the director of the library where we were to speak and she said they had all just been herded into a windowless conference room, and she was hoping they'd be sent home. "Nobody would come if you did make it," she said. As it turned out we could comfortably have gone to the 6:30 program and been home again by the next storm, but it was such a day of uncertainty no one thought about it. In all that I felt a sense of relief that the storm was south of me--until Jordan called and pointed out that's where she lives! She and Jacob had shared some together time in the closet in her bathroom.
That night about nine they began to talk about another bad storm, with rotation, approaching from the west. I was fascinated as I watched the TV and literally watched the storm making its way down I-30 in my direction, that highway being about a mile from my house. Jordan called to ask if I was in the closet and I said no, but my computer was off and I could go in an instant, taking the dog with me--the cat would have to fend for himself since I couldn't imagine making him stay in the closet. The storm turned, apparently less than a mile from me. I called Jordan and said it was alright, the storm had gone north. "But that's where Christian is," she wailed. And of course he was on the North Side at his second job. I simply forgot all day to worry about anyone but myself! More storms predicted tomorrow night but not as severe. In Texas, one never knows.
I had a nice dinner with my good friend Betty last night--we needed to catch up--and that was a pleasant event, but otherwise the week has been without much to mark it except that I've been overwhelmed at work and had my nose in page proofs at home. I've been proofreading a book about five centuries of Texas maps--text is interesting but proofing the map legends against late-received corrections, many in Spanish and German, is about to make me cross-eyed. I've quit for the night and will pick up a novel soon for a little relaxation.
I thought an empty weekend loomed, but Jordan and Jacob are coming for supper tomorrow; I'm going to dinner with a good friend Saturday night; and a dear friend from Granbury is coming for supper Sunday, so it's shaping up to be a pleasant weekend. I found a recipe for braised chicken that sounds good--white wine, chicken broth and lemon, and you put it in the oven without a lid so it gets crisp and brown rather than soggy and pale. Also think I'll cook a medley of brussel sprouts and cauliflower--two vegetables long out of style but now making a comeback.
I have somehow messed up my computer so that it has no sound and, for some things such as skype, no picture. Tried to watch the Democratic candidates debate tonight and couldn't get a picture. But the skype bothers me more--can't talk to Morgan and her family in Houston. I need one of the technologically smart boys in the family to come fix things. Oh well, they'll be here for Mothers' Day.

No comments: