Friday, March 08, 2024

Random thoughts on a chilly night



I was about to start this post with the unoriginal observation that Texas is at it again—unpredictable weather. Yesterday and apparently overnight we enjoyed some much-needed rain of the moderately gentle variety rather than the heavy downpours that run off before they can soak into the ground. I was especially pleased because I thought the newly exposed roots for my two huge trees must be grateful. But then the phrase “Texas is at it again” struck me in a whole different way.

This week showed us Texas, Greg Abbott, at the behest of his oil-rich billionaire sponsors, shoving Texas ever farther to the right. What kind of a governor indulges in revenge politics, deliberately challenging state politicians who opposed him, in this case on the infernal question of school vouchers? Unfortunately, money talks and Abbott’s challengers beat out several of the more moderate Republicans on the down-ballot. It looks like we are doomed to have school vouchers, which will further weaken our already pitiful public school system. Texas needs to put that money into teacher raises, classroom equipment, etc. In short, it needs to strengthen public education, not siphon off possible funding. The irony is that the voucher amount is not enough for many low-income families to send their kids to private school so who benefits? The rich who are already sending their kids to private schools and now get some money for doing so. It’s a rotten system.

Ken Paxton was not quite as successful in avenging himself against those who voted to impeach him, and there’s now a glimmer of hope because he is finally going to go to trial later this spring on fraud charges he’s delayed for years. But right now he’s busy suing everyone in sight—an El Paso faith-based organization that helps immigrant (of course Paxton hates them), several school districts for electioneering (but has he looked at private schools who push petitions for vouchers on their parents). Today it was announced he is suing several entertainment and/or food venues for not allowing police officers on their premises if they carry guns. Ah yes, Texas is the state where guns are more important than human life. His targets include the State Fair of Texas of all things. Also the popular Meow Wolf in Grapevine, a restaurant in Deep Ellum, a theatre in Grand Prairie, and a bar/restaurant in San Antonio. Must keep the poor guy busy finding his targets. But it costs money to mount these lawsuits, taxpayer money, and we never hear about the outcome. Except today I did hear that a judge quashed the suit against the El Paso immigration charity.

But if you look at it, Abbott and Paxton are spending Texas taxpayer money without our consent for extravagant, cruel and illegal means at the border (a judge gave Biden a big victory on that today) and to sue business which are adding to the Texas economy and quality of life. For this, Abbott and Paxton get big bucks from those oil men who think they can run Texas, and what do we, the taxpayers get? An inferior education system that consistently ranks in the middle to lower grouping nationally. Good going guys.

On the national scene, it is redundant to say that President Joe Biden hit it out of the ballpark last night with an energetic, challenging, comprehensive State of the Union message that exposed all of the Republican lies and sent the orange former guy to tweeting out no less than seventy-five angry posts. I had thought with the primaries behind us, the volume of emails and texts would diminish but no such luck. My email was a mess this morning with politicians from all states wanting to ride Biden’s coattails. Many of them are candidates I would support were I a wealthy woman, but I’m not. All this deluge of messages does is a) make me feel guilty, and b) make me want to explain my support but straightened circumstances. I am tempted to say I’ll vote for the candidate—oops, specify progressive candidate (I’m not ruling out a Republican, though I don’t think I’ll find a progressive one) who sends me the fewest emails. But then again, who’s counting.

Here we go again into a frenetic cycle of fund-raising. I’d love to turn off my computer, but I won’t because I think we each have a civic duty to be well informed and because, politics aside, I enjoy my online life. November seems a long time away. Also it really bothers me, and has for years, that money determines election outcomes. I realize it’s true, but I resent it. I want us to elect politicians because they will run the country with knowledge and wisdom, they will try to protect America, keep it strong, protect democracy, and improve life for the average American, not because they have the biggest war chest (Abbott wins that one in Texas and looks what it gets us—a fiefdom). 

Just call me Pollyanna, the idealist.

 

No comments: