Friday, November 26, 2021

Thanksgiving went to the dogs


Me and the dogs.
Note that they were reluctant to stay still
for the slow photogapher.

Since my last visit to Tomball, the family has lost Grace, the big old shepherd mix who sat on my feet while I worked, and acquired Ginger. She’s billed as an Aussie, but I think she’s got some smooth-coated collie in her. She definitely has the collie/Aussie sweet disposition. And she’s a beauty, with a coat that truly is the color of gingerbread.

We wondered how Ginger and Sophie would get along, but after about two minutes they were just fine. And I have spent the visit surrounded by dogs. Ginger is just the right height to get under the dining table and lay her head in my lap, big brown eyes looking soulfully at me. Or she literally lies at my feet, making sure that some part of her touches some part of me. Sophie has not been as jealous as I expected, but she will wander over to be petted when she sees Ginger by me. Ginger on the other hand, has radar, and if Sophie comes to me, Ginger will rouse herself from elsewhere in the house to come be petted.

This morning both dogs had a good romp—herding is as instinctive to each of them as running is, and they ran in huge circles chasing each other. One thing that’s always worried me with Sophie in Tomball is that there are no fences, and I feared if she once got loose, she’d be gone forever. If I’d been outside this morning, I’d have said no, but Colin let her off the leash, and she happily came back to him, maybe because Ginger did. I don’t go outside here and pretty much stay in the wing of the house with the kitchen, family room, and my bedroom. The house is multi-level, and getting from one end to the other is a challenge for me.

Once in Fort Worth, granddaughter Morgan said to me, “I think I’ve got everything packed and ready to go home.” I turned to look, and she had Sophie under her arm. Told her last night turnabout is fair play, and I may have to talk Ginger home.

Our Thanksgiving table, with the two grandmothers as bookends.
Although we were very happy, something about this photo
reminds me of American Gothic.

Our Thanksgving dinner was traditional, the way we all like it, and bountiful. You know if I eat two slivers of pie, and neither of them chocolate, it’s got to be good. We had Brussel sprouts which I sometimes eat, and Colin kept talking about three bites for politeness and the eggplant of his childhood (I don’t think I really did that, but he insists). Turkey was moist and flavorful, and I look forward to leftovers tonight.

Strange thing this afternoon. I was napping and had a bad dream in which I called out for help. Apparently I really did because Colin gently shook me awake, and Sophie jumped on the bed and walked all over me. I went back to dozing, but I worried about that and wondered if I ever do that at home. I think we all have dreams, occasionally, that make us call out for help. On the other hand, I know my dreams are quite vivid—in color and with audio.

May you all sleep tight tonight, with full bellies and sweet dreams—no bad dreams.

A better view of Ginger


No comments: