Friday, October 01, 2021

Big day for the Burtons

 

Cutest ranch couple I ever saw

Tonight is the annual Cowtown Ball, a charity event held for the benefit of the American Cancer Society. Christian is co-chair, with Virginia Durham, and Jordan is a member of the committee. Last year, when Christian was also co-chair, they had to go to a virtual event because of Covid-19. This year, because it’s at the Fort Worth Zoo, we thought rain was going to spoil the evening. It’s been a tense couple of days around here.

Feeding giraffes was 
part of the fun

But the weather is lovely, the temperature mild, and I presume everyone is having a good time. Christian said they had sold close to 500 tickets, which he considered a good turnout. Jordan got a special hairdo this morning that would fit under a cowboy hat, and she tried on her dress for me. Of course, I thought it was smashing—her usual black brightened with black-and-turquoise cowgirl boots and big turquoise earrings under a black hat. Last I heard she was debating about wearing my squash blossom necklace, but the picture shows she wore it.

Meanwhile, I wasn’t exactly playing Cinderella, but left on my own I ate a composed salad for supper. Sometimes there’s nothing better. I had defrosted some freezer leftovers with soup in mind, but what I thought was chicken broth turned out to be scallops in a wine sauce—in a cracked plastic container that leaked. What a mess! Jordan complained of the smell when she came out just before leaving, but I think now, with the doors open, it’s going away.


One of those days when suddenly everything hits at once. This morning I gleefully announced publication of The Most Land, the Best Cattle: The Waggoners of Texas. My tag line for marketing came from Red Steagall’s blurb: "The majesty and intrigue of a ranch is of course invested in the land and livestock. But the true soul of a ranching property rests with the humans involved, both staff and owners. Judy Alter has done a magnificent job of explaining and describing the amazing family of the world-famous Waggoner Ranch, all under one fence.” It’s more the story of the people than the cattle, land, and oil.

But, unbeknownst to me, the pub date had changed, and the book is not yet available. Supply chain problems have affected publishing as they have many industries, and the book is delayed three weeks. Paper supply, no doubt. So now I get to announce it all over again. I did read today that some university offers a graduate degree in managing the supply chain, and I thought it a great idea, if a bit late. But who knew that in addition to astronomic deaths and unbelievable political squabbles, the pandemic would delay goods. Jordan has stocked up on toilet paper again, and my closet runneth over.

Late this afternoon, I got my voter registration (glad to have it) and my mail-in ballot, which is full of nothing but constitutional amendments, almost none of which I understand except that several are labeled as tax increases. Since our state governor is spending billions to build a wall and advance other items on his warped agenda, like Operation Lone Star which imprisoned immigrants without charges or counsel, I am not inclined to support bond program until his right-wing, partisan spending stops. If he would fix the power grid, I might have more sympathy. It would be interesting to see the state budget and see what is allocated to maintaining power all winter. I have asked for ballot advice from a friend whose husband was a state legislator and who keeps current on such matters.

Then came a questionnaire from the Medigap program TCU offers its retirees and a questionnaire from my insurance company—all sparked by the Medicare enrollment period which opens next week. Keeps a person busy, I’ll tell you.

Today is National Black Dog Day (I love these oddball national days), so Sophie bids each of you good night and sweet dreams.



No comments: