Thursday, April 05, 2018

The value of napping


I cannot meditate. Oh, I’ve tried. I used to sit in a big, comfy chair, now gone due to space limitations, and do a relaxing exercise where you focus on letting go in each part of your body. I think I was fairly successful at that, and then I’d let my mind wander to where it wanted to go. That’s my version of meditating. I doubt that’s what Buddhists mean.

But these days I know if I sit at my desk and say, “Okay, I’m going to meditate now,” it won’t work. I won’t keep myself from fiddling with things on my desk or glancing at the computer. I won’t focus. It’s why when I have company, I move away from the computer, so I won’t be tempted to be rude and check the email, etc.

Today it occurred to me that I meditate when I nap. I’ve written before that napping is the time I get some of my best plotting ideas, but today I realized it’s also a time for meditation. Yes, sometimes I sleep, but when I don’t, I let my mind wander where it will. That sort of tells me what’s on my subconscious, what’s worrying or preoccupying me. Today I do think I dozed off but then Sophie barked, just once but enough to jolt me back to reality. So I lay there, halfway between sleep and wakefulness, and it occurred to me that was as close as I’ll come to meditation. I think it’s because I actually get in the bed, all comfy under the covers (of course that means I have to make the bed twice a day).I don’t think I’m capable of clearing my mind in the way that I think, in my ignorance, true meditation requires. But I think my method is healthy. And, no, I don’t let my mind rant about Donald Trump and his follies. I mostly think peaceful thoughts.

Tonight, friends Sue and Teddy came for a glass of wine. They are full of plans for their June 9 wedding, and it’s a joy to see them so happy. We laughed a bit today about the early days of their relationship, when he was in California and she here in Texas, and I listened a lot in my living room and on my front porch. She went to California a lot, but now he’s a confirmed Texan. Of course, I got carried away and told them stories of my children’s weddings—Jamie had the entire wedding part giggling during the ceremony, and Jordan had the most touching moment when both her brothers walked her down the aisle and kissed her on the cheek before handing her to her father. Good to recall those happy memories while anticipating the next happy event.

Tomorrow, Murder at the Blue Plate Café launches, and I’ll tell you more about the origin of that Blue Plate Café series. It’s a neat story. Please stay tuned.

Meantime, sleep well and enjoy TGIF.

No comments: