Wednesday, December 06, 2017

Some things that made me happy today


Here’s something that made me happy today: did you know there is a fellowship in the name of Erma Bombeck and Anna Lefler? It annually awards two recipients with a two-week retreat at the hotel of the University of Dayton and a slot at the Erma Bombeck Writers Workshop. The university sponsors the program. Dayton is the late humorist’s hometown.

It’s particularly fitting to remember Bombeck at this time of year because of her essay, “Where did Christmas go?” The humorist, who once said only a thin line separates laughter and pain, began that piece with, “There is nothing sadder in this world than to awake Christmas morning and not be a child,” and ended it with, “Time, self-pity, apathy, bitterness and exhaustion can take the Christmas out of the child, but you cannot take the child out of Christmas.

In these troubled times in our country, we need all we can get of Erma Bombeck—and of he spirit of Christmas, no matter the faith you follow.

Something else that made me happy today: lunch with an old friend. I can’t tell you how long I’ve known Jim Lee, but it’s a long time. When he was chair of English at the University of North Texas, he’d call me to announce he’d had a million-dollar idea, and I’d cringe because I knew it meant work for me. Later, he moved to Fort Worth and became a regular volunteer at TCU Press, serving, as the provost so clearly specified, “without compensation.” We worked together, we edited books together (Literary Fort Worth, Elmer Kelton: Essays and Memories, and probably others), he wrote at least one book under my tenure (Adventures of a Texas Humanist). We were partners in crime, frequent guests together at literary events, and constant lunch companions. When I retired and he tired of his unpaid position, we drifted apart, and I hadn’t seen him in several years

We do email occasionally, and recently I wrote and told him I didn’t like to let people who’d mattered to me slip out of my life. Would he come to lunch at the cottage? He would and did. We had a good time, catching up on people (how neat that he remembers all my kids and asked about them) and sharing stories old and new, commiserating about age and friends now gone. I hope we do it again.

And more happiness: Betty and I went to Pacific Table for our weekly dinner and split Trout Amandine. It came with a choice of zucchini or root vegetables. She wanted the root vegetables, but I hesitated when I heard parsnips, turnips, and rutabaga. Then I threw caution to the winds and deferred to her taste. The vegetables were good, the trout was wonderful, and it was a pleasant if quick dinner.

Too much happiness in my world to let Roy Moore and the likes dim it, though I will continue to speak out That’s how outraged I am about what is being done to our country. Oops, I forgot—happiness is the word of the day.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Eye surgery went well but bandage over the right eye is so thick that my glasses barely fit so I can see with left. Lots of head bobbing to try to bring words into focus and then they are pretty blurry. Builders have every thing piled in middle of floor so I have to tap tap my way around. My nose touches keyboard practically so I can write this. Afraid I spend my time watching a lot of blurry t.v. I remember Erma bombeck well. Loved her books especially If Live is a Bowl of Cherries What am I doing in the Pits and The Grass is Always Greener Over the Septic Tanks.A great humorist and usually had a sly comment about things hidden in her work.Not aacerbec as Mickey Rooney or Art Buchwald's "comic writing". Going to see doctor today so maybe I'll get a thinner bandage over eye so glasses fit properly.

judyalter said...

Randy, glad he surgery went well. That fuzziness should go away soon, and if I remember correctly, no bandage after today. Aren't you glad o have it behind you? What are builders doing at your house?
Surely you mean Andy Rooney and not Mickey! And who could forget Art Buchwald--he was my dad's favorite.
Have a bright happy day, even if cold.