Friday, July 27, 2012

I am getting old--and a book and a video to recommend

Yesterday I had a surprise visit from a girl who had lived with us during her senior year in high school. Her family, longtime friends, were moving out of town, and she didn't want to change schools. Imagine my shock when she told me she's fifty-four years old, with two children in their late twenties. Her baby sister Jennifer, whom I never knew as well, was with her. Something came up about a school both my Megan and Jennifer had attended, but I added, "She's lots older than you." Jennifer, it turns out, is four years older than Megan, has three children, one of whom is married. Clearly the world has gotten away from me.
Jeanine, the older girl, and I had a good time reminiscing about her year with us. I was flattered when she told me that because she lived with me she eats lots of things she never otherwise would--like tongue. Good heavens! I'm the only adult I know who deliberately orders and enjoys tongue--good for her. One story we laughed over had to do with the single pediatrician who routinely appeared in our driveay at dinner time--he knew a place for him would appear at the table. One night, Jeanine fumed, "Does he always have to come on the night we're having salmon croquettes?" She was still fuming about it, in a good-hearted way, yesterday, when she said, "He ate all what would have been the leftovers, and I loved making them into sandwiches the next day." Spurred me on--I'm going ot fix croquettes this weekend.
They only stayed fifteen or twenty minutes--just passing through on their way to San Antonio but headed most immediately to Uncle Julio's because Jennifer wanted the real "sofa pillow" sopapillas, not those semi-flat huge things most Mexican restaurants serve these days. Such glimpses of the past, with all its good times, are to be treasured. They make you forget some of the bad times.
****
Want a good, light weekend romance? Read Ruth Hartman's  Grin and Barrett, about two dentists wanting the same office location. Their  battle takes a different turn when sparks of a romantic kind fly. Praised as sassy and funny, the book has been described as a good old-fashioned romance and a delightful read. Find it on Amazon at http://tinyurl.com/d8roznx. Grin & Barrett
****
Author Julie Doner took a full year Dance and Social Justice course at Brock University, during which she, along with six other untrained dancers, created a movement piece using violence against women as their stimulus. It's been posted on youtube, and I would encourage you all to take a moment and watch it, and share it with other women in your lives. Some of the statistics are pretty haunting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf0avZkucpQ&feature=youtu.be



No comments: