Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Doctors and friends

I went to the ophthalmologist today, a trip I dread. As I said in the office before I left, I'd rather go to the dentist and gynecologist four times than go to the eye doctor. But it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. The doctor, who is a friend and someone I've seen for years, had moved to a new building, and going someplace new always makes me a little apprehensive. I needed to remember that those days are gone, and I can confidently go new places these days--but the habit of anticipation lingers. Then Melinda, in my office, offered to drive so I wouldn't have to drive home with dilated (in the office, we call it "violated") eyes, which was a blessing. As it turned out someone else came to get me, and we all met for a lunch at a new restaurant. The only appetizer on the menu was waffle fries sprinkled with gorgonzola and chopped scallions--an absolutely inspired appetizer! And next time I won't dread the ophthalmologist so much--though I was glad not to drive with violated eyes.
The Alter clan will gather in Austin this weekend. Jamie and Brandon are doing a triathlon, and I'm not sure what Colin is doing but some part of it. With regret, we'll leave Christian behind because he can't get off work--or doesn't think he should, which is perfectly undertandable. But it should be fun and a pleasant break. As always, I start planning early for a weekend away. And double as always, I'm grateful for a close family--and kids and grandkids who seem to want the old lady around!

No comments: